Robinson Bradshaw’s Institutional Investors Practice Group provides a full range of legal services and strategic advice to public pension plans, funds of funds, foundations, universities, family offices and other institutional investors. We assist clients with their review and negotiation of a wide range of alternative investments, including in private equity, venture capital, energy, real estate and hedge funds, and in regulated markets. Our attorneys regularly handle secondary market transactions and represent investors in the creation of separate accounts, corporate venture capital programs, captive funds and managed account platforms. We also represent general partners, and our institutional investor clients benefit from our detailed knowledge of the market from both perspectives.
In addition to our experience assisting with investments, we also advise clients on regulatory and operational compliance matters, including fiduciary duty issues.
Our attorneys participate in industry organizations including the National Association of Public Pension Attorneys, the Council of Institutional Investors, and the Institutional Investors Committee of the American Bar Association. We believe our involvement in these activities helps us to be sensitive and responsive to the developments that affect our institutional investor clients.
Negotiated and reviewed several hundred investments on behalf of institutional investors in private equity, venture capital, real estate, energy, hedge and a wide variety of other funds since 2000, including U.S., offshore and international funds.
Drafted and negotiated documentation for dozens of direct investments and co-investments in portfolio companies.
Established a form of investment management agreement for a state pension plan and an investment contract review process to provide consistency and efficiency in the negotiation of complex investment contracts and enhanced compliance oversight.
Drafted and negotiated separate account arrangements using special purpose vehicles, funds of one, and direct investment management agreements.
Drafted, on multiple occasions, the private fund agreement on behalf of the institutional investor and negotiated and drafted the “cornerstone” investment in the management company.
Created a proprietary $200 million hedge fund to provide a governmental pension plan access to high performing middle market managers, including structuring the fund, creating the management agreement to oversee the fund, and establishing protocols, financial controls and audit procedures.
Created and negotiated a special fund to hold and manage illiquid fixed income assets for a governmental pension fund during the economic crisis in 2008, including the termination of a $400 million manager mandate and the transfer of securities into a “run-off” account.
Negotiated custodial agreement for a master trust fund and other segregated accounts.
Reviewed foreign exchange transactions for pension system and negotiated improved foreign exchange terms in custodial bank contract.
Represented the spinout of the investment office of a major state university into a separate, tax-exempt entity, and created, managed and applied for tax exemption of a multistrategy fund of funds managing the endowment and foundation assets of the university, affiliated universities, and their supporting organizations and foundations.
Represented both a state pension fund and a university endowment at board meetings, investment committee meetings, audit committee meetings and other subcommittee meetings.
Developed and drafted board policies to address governance, fiduciary, investment, compliance and operational issues for a large governmental pension plan.
Represented a group of investment professionals in their spinout from a large financial institution and represented the resulting investment and wealth management firm having a multifamily office platform.
Reviewed audit and reporting obligations of a large state pension system, reviewed best practices of the system’s operations, and facilitated adoption of best practices policies and procedures for meeting the governing board’s fiduciary obligations and duties.
News & Events
- Jan. 3, 2017
- Feb. 26, 2016
- Feb. 17, 2016
- Feb. 4, 2016
- Sept. 28, 2015
Astor Crowne Plaza
739 Canal St.
New Orleans, LA 70130June 21, 2016
- New Member and Associate Counsel Session: Roundtable Discussion - National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
500 East 4th St.
Austin, TexasJune 23, 2015
- Institutional Investors + Antitrust = ??, Antitrust Concerns when Negotiating Investment Agreements, ABA Business Law Section
San Francisco Marriott Marquis and InterContinental
San Francisco, CaliforniaApril 17, 2015
- Critical Due Diligence and Monitoring Considerations for Investing in Foreign Markets, 6th Annual Fiduciary Obligations of Pension Plans
Tempe Mission Palms
60 East Fifth Street
Tempe, Arizona 85281Feb. 10, 2015
Nashville, TennesseeJune 2014
Santa Fe, New MexicoJune 2013
Santa Fe, New MexicoJune 2013
- Structuring Investments: Do I Get to Go to the Cayman Islands?, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Washington, DCFebruary 2013
- Impacting Corporate Governance in a Changing International Landscape of Fiduciary Duties and Definitions, Institutional Investor Forums
Washington, DCFebruary 2013
- Practical Board Considerations for Lawyers Working with Institutional Investors, Institutional Investors Committee Winter Meeting
Washington, DCNovember 2012
Newport, Rhode IslandJuly 2012
- Legal Issues Facing Public Pension Plans, Louisiana Investor Education Symposium & Trustee Education Counsel
New Orleans, LouisianaFebruary 2012
- The Evolution of Private Equity and Hedge Fund LP Agreements and the Operation of Side Letters, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Washington, DCFebruary 2012
Dana Point, CaliforniaDecember 2011
- Legal Constraints – Are State Laws in the Way of Achieving Actuarial Goals? Louisiana Investor Education Symposium & Trustee Education Council
New Orleans, LouisianaMarch 2011
- Risk and Reward: Investment Return Assumptions and Investment Risk, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys Winter Meeting
Washington, DCFebruary 2011
- June 2, 2017Carolinas Class Action Blog
- May 1, 2017National Association of Public Pension Attorneys