University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2012, Order of the Coif; Symposium Editor, South Carolina Law Review, 2011-12
Roanoke College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2009
Amanda Pickens represents companies and executives involved in complex business disputes across the country. She has litigated in a variety of industries, including construction, health care, manufacturing and banking. Amanda's experience includes assisting clients involved in class actions, shareholder and partnership disputes, derivative actions, commercial lease disputes, employment matters, state court appeals and general business litigation. She also regularly counsels businesses and executives on how to efficiently resolve business disputes before litigation.
Amanda has assisted clients with complex electronic discovery issues, including identifying their own sources of electronically stored information and properly preserving responsive material. She has counseled clients on how to efficiently preserve, collect and review electronically stored information for pending litigation to minimize the costs associated with electronic discovery.
Honors & Awards
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, business, 2017
- Charlotte Chamber Young Professional Newcomer Award, 2015
- Charlotte Agenda, Charlotte's 30 Under 30, 2016
Obtained a three-judge panel unanimous reversal of the trial court in a decision that a nursing home employer was not liable for unemployment benefits.
Counsels a global technology and professional services company through disputes that arise with a state agency in connection with a multimillion-dollar contract to develop and service a health services technology platform.
Represents minority shareholders of a closely held family corporation in a direct and derivative shareholder dispute involving misappropriation of corporate assets and breach of fiduciary duties.
Represents the Southeastern Conference in multidistrict litigation putative class actions filed by former student-athletes challenging the validity of NCAA grant-in-aid rules, centralized in the Northern District of California.
Represents a North Carolina business in commercial dispute for claims of breach of contract, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and conversion to reclaim its $3.6 million loan to a startup company.
Represents Fortune 500 employers in cases and administrative proceedings involving race, national origin, age and gender discrimination.
Represents North Carolina charter schools’ claims against local school boards for underfunding in violation of state laws.
Represents commercial landlords in multiple actions to reclaim possession and recover damages from defaulting tenants.
News & Events
- Oct. 3, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Aug. 3, 2016
- June 10, 2016
- Nov. 11, 2015
- Oct. 14, 2015
- Robert W. Fuller Quoted in Law360 Article "Broadcasters Escape NCAA Athletes' Publicity Rights Suit"June 4, 2015
- April 28, 2015
- May 1, 2014
- Oct. 8, 2012
- May 23, 2017Carolinas Class Action Blog
- Are Class Action Waivers in Non-Management Employment Arbitration Agreements Enforceable? U.S. Supreme Court to Decide Circuit Split this FallApril 10, 2017Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Dish Network Hopes for a New Trial of Telemarketing Class Action Lawsuit after $20.5 Million Jury VerdictMarch 16, 2017Carolinas Class Action Blog
- U.S. Supreme Court to Decide Circuit Split: Are Class Action Waivers in Employment Arbitration Agreements Enforceable?Jan. 17, 2017Carolinas Class Action Blog
- April 5, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Jan. 4, 2016Carolinas Class Action Blog
- Sept. 28, 2015Carolinas Class Action Blog
- Defense Research Institute, Young Lawyers Committee, Women in the Law Committee
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Young Lawyers Division, Law Day Committee
- American Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Litigation Section
- Women Lawyers of Charlotte, Board Member
- Charlotte Bilingual Preschool, Board Member
- Charlotte Chamber Young Professionals, Board Member
- Roanoke College Charlotte Alumni Association, Board Member
- The Junior League of Charlotte, Member
- Young Affiliates of the Mint Museum, Member