University of Virginia, J.D., 1983, Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1981-83
Duke University, A.B., summa cum laude, 1980, Phi Beta Kappa
Brent Torstrick’s practice areas include all aspects of commercial real estate development. He has particular proficiency in the planning, development, leasing, financing and disposition of shopping centers, and in the planning and development of mixed-use, retail and residential condominium projects. His relationships with prominent developers such as Faison Enterprises, Collett & Associates and Crescent Communities extend back 20 or more years.
Brent's shopping center development experience ranges from two-tenant projects on stand-alone outparcels to large power centers with multiple anchors and extensive outparcel development. He has represented Corporate Property Group and its affiliates in the development of approximately 20 centers in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida, and has been working with The Jackson Companies for over 10 years in the development of SayeBrook Town Center, a 60-acre retail project near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, that is anchored by Target and Marshalls.
Brent's condominium experience includes dozens of residential projects and several mixed-use projects incorporating hotel and related commercial uses. He also focuses on the development and sale of residential lots to homebuilders.
Honors & Awards
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, real estate law, 2001-17; Charlotte Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, 2009
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite Hall of Fame, real estate
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, real estate, 2008-17;Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyer, 2009-12
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, real estate, 2003-16
- The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represents Collett & Associates in the development of Lewis Crossing, a Sam's Club-anchored power center in Conway, Arkansas.
Represents Crescent Communities in the acquisition, development and sale of lots within Masons Bend, a 550-acre residential community in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
Represents The Jackson Companies in the development of SayeBrook Town Center, a 60-acre retail project in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, anchored by Target.
Represented Corporate Property Group and Magnolia Property Group in the development and sale of five retail projects in North and South Carolina anchored by Hobby Lobby, and approximately 15 other retail projects from Florida to North Carolina.
Represents Faison & Associates in the acquisition and development of sites for multifamily and mixed-use developments in the Carolinas, Georgia and Tennessee.
Represents FMW Development in the acquisition and development of small-scale student housing projects in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Represented Tarheel Lodging in the creation of a two-unit retail and hotel condominium in Carrboro, North Carolina, and the development of a Hampton Inn within the hotel unit.
Represented Withrow Enterprises in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of multiple retail and residential properties in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Represented Union Presbyterian Seminary in the negotiation of a ground lease and the construction of a new building for its satellite campus in Charlotte, North Carolina.
News & Events
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 5, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- March 6, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
- Board Certified Specialist, Real Property Law - Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions
- International Council of Shopping Centers and Urban Law Institute, Member
- First Presbyterian Church, Elder
- Leadership Charlotte, Class 21