University of Virginia, J.D., 1978
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, A.B., 1972, Phi Beta Kappa; John Motley Morehead Scholar
Ed Lucas was instrumental in starting the firm's public finance practice in the mid-1980s and has since been involved in almost all aspects of that practice, including serving as bond counsel, underwriters' counsel, borrower counsel, bank counsel and issuer counsel for virtually all types of transactions done in North Carolina. His primary focus in recent years has been governmental and educational financings.
From 2004 through 2016, Ed was the firm's lead attorney in serving as bond counsel for approximately $10.5 billion in bonds, including transactions for the state of North Carolina, Mecklenburg and Guilford counties (the state's first and third most populous counties), Duke Energy Corporation, Davidson College and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.
From 2005 through 2016, he served as principal counsel in the firm's representation of underwriters in 67 bond transactions totaling approximately $4.7 billion.
Ed also has significant experience in serving as counsel to financial institutions and other parties with respect to credit enhancement, investment products and derivative products in public finance transactions.
Honors & Awards
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, public finance, 2003-17; Charlotte Public Finance Lawyer of the Year, 2012
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, banking & finance: public finance, 2004-16
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, banking, 2007-09, 2011; government finance, 2012-17
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Served as principal counsel in the firm's representation of Mecklenburg County as bond counsel in restructuring almost $500 million of liquidity-enhanced variable rate debt into a combination of unenhanced variable rate bonds (the first governmental Window VRDB deal in the country), fixed rate general obligation bonds and fixed rate limited obligation bonds.
Served as principal counsel for the firm in developing the documentation and program for the state of North Carolina's limited obligation bond program and in serving as bond counsel in the first two such transactions. This program has enabled the state to more efficiently issue nongeneral obligation debt.
Served as principal counsel in the firm's representation of Mecklenburg County in a first-in-North Carolina “synthetic” tax increment certificates of participation installment financing.
Served as principal counsel for the firm in a first-in-North Carolina financing for the acquisition of a cable television and internet access system by a joint agency of municipalities.
Served as principal counsel in the firm's role as bond counsel for $475 million in environment-friendly financings for Duke Energy’s coal-fired electric plant “scrubbers” and a facility for National Gypsum Company that uses a waste byproduct of that scrubbing to produce synthetic gypsum for wallboard.
Served as principal counsel in the firm's representation of Cleveland County as bond counsel in a $40 million, four-series combination of publicly sold and bank purchased taxable Recovery Zone Economic Development Bonds and Qualified School Construction Bonds for school and community college facilities. Those transactions were structured and executed to qualify for federal interest subsidy payments to the county made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, thus substantially lowering the county's interest cost.
News & Events
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- Feb. 17, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Thirteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers’ ‘2012 Charlotte Lawyers of the Year’Robinson Bradshaw Receives 14 Awards in 2012 RankingOct. 25, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- National Association of Bond Lawyers: Bond Attorneys Workshop, Steering Committee and Opinions Panel Chair; Chairman, Committee on Opinions: principal author of NABL publication "Model Letter of Underwriters' Counsel."
- Ed is a frequent speaker at meetings of public finance-related organizations such as the North Carolina Government Finance Officers Association.