University of Virginia, J.D., 1996, Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1994-96
University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 1993, Phi Beta Kappa, Jefferson Scholar
Rick Starling practices primarily in the areas of investment management, private equity, and general corporate and commercial law. He co-chairs the firm’s Fund Formation and Investment Management Practice Group, where he represents fund managers in their fund offerings; institutional investors in their investments in private funds and other assets; and a variety of clients with respect to regulatory, internal governance and structural issues unique to the investment management industry. Rick works with all types of private funds, including buyout, venture capital, secondary, hedge, hybrid, real estate, co-investment and fund of funds.
His recent representative transactions include offerings for a lower middle-market buyout fund, a fund of hedge funds, a captive strategic growth fund, a real estate recapitalization and a small hedge fund, and numerous investments by institutional investors in a wide variety of hedge, private equity and other funds.
Rick also represents clients in a variety of other investment and corporate transactions, and, as an extension of his transactional work, he regularly advises clients on business formations, significant commercial contracts and other general legal matters.
Represented a fund manager in connection with the formation of a middle-market buyout fund with over $650 million in investor commitments.
Represented a fund manager in connection with the formation of a lower middle-market buyout fund targeting $100 million in investor commitments.
Represented a real estate firm in connection with the recapitalization of two portfolios of commercial office and industrial properties and the offering of over $50 million in equity interests therein.
Represented an investment adviser in connection with the formation of a small hedge fund implementing the adviser's established investment strategy.
Represented a multifamily office in connection with the establishment of a fund of hedge funds targeting $100 million in investor subscriptions.
Represented the majority owners of a health care technology company in the recapitalization and sale of the company to a strategic buyer for $63 million.
Represented a captive fund manager in its spinout from a leading financial institution.
Represents several clients with their registration as investment advisers, including the preparation and filing of Form ADV, the drafting of compliance manuals, codes of ethics and other materials, and working with regulators on compliance issues.
Handles numerous secondary transactions involving interests in private equity funds, and in some cases, also involving the formation of special purpose acquisition vehicles structured as funds.
News & Events
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Nov. 22, 2016
- Nov. 21, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- July 7, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
201 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NCDec. 9, 2015
The Ritz-Carlton Lodge
1 Lake Oconee Trail
Greensboro, GeorgiaSept. 10-12, 2014
The Ritz-Carlton Lodge
One Lake Oconee Trail
Greensboro, GeorgiaSept. 22, 2011
- Developments in the Regulation of Fund Managers in North CarolinaFeb. 1, 2014Notes Bearing Interest, the newsletter of the Business Law Section of the NCBA
- May 2011Business North Carolina, Law Journal
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 25, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 2, 2006Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Regulation Committee, Chairman, 2011-present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Dodd-Frank Investment Advisory Task Force, Organizer and Chairman, 2011-13
- American Bar Association, Committee on Institutional Investors
- Council of Institutional Investors
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Richard L. Williams, Eastern District, Virginia, 1996-97
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- Jefferson Scholars Regional Selection Committee, Member, 2003-present; Chairman, 2011-present
- Community School of the Arts, Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Christ Episcopal Church Worship Band, 2011-present
- Charlotte Museum of History, Board of Trustees, 2008-11
- Inventors’ Network of the Carolinas, Steering Committee and Board Member, 2004-08