University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008, Dean’s Medallion; Order of the Coif; Member, South Carolina Law Review, 2006-08
Vanderbilt University, B.A., with honors, magna cum laude, 2002
Ashley Durbin's practice covers a wide range of corporate transactions, with a principal focus on mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions and compliance, sports and entertainment law, and general corporate law. She has represented a variety of public and private companies in acquisitions and dispositions, including strategic acquirers and sellers and private equity sponsors, and has worked on a wide range of public and private securities offerings. Ashley also regularly advises companies on general securities and other corporate law matters, including disclosure and compliance issues, corporate governance and significant commercial contracts.
Prior to attending law school, Ashley studied at the American Film Institute and worked in story development for a prominent film production company in Los Angeles. She also routinely advised screenwriters in the development of film and television material. As a member of our Sports and Entertainment Practice Group, Ashley utilizes her entertainment background in representing various clients in film and television production matters, book publishing and licensing agreements, recording and music licensing contracts, artist and agent agreements, and various marketing promotions, sweepstakes and contests.
Honors & Awards
- Charlotte Chamber Young Professional Business Leader Award, 2013
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Star, mergers and acquisitions, 2011-17
Represents a public company in its acquisitions of domestic and international industrial products businesses from both public and private companies and its dispositions of such businesses to strategic and financial buyers.
Represents issuers of securities in various industries and selling shareholders in IPO and secondary offering registrations and in private placements in transaction structuring, exemption compliance and related matters.
Represents public companies, their boards of directors and committees on compliance and disclosure matters under SEC regulations, exchange rules and related requirements.
Represents manufacturing companies in supply and distributorship arrangements and other contracting matters.
Represents various clients in the sports and entertainment industries in drafting and negotiating talent agreements, sponsorship agreements, marketing agreements, recording contracts, music licensing agreements, music publishing and administration agreements, artist management agreements, agent agreements and book publishing contracts.
Represents marketing agencies, NASCAR teams and other businesses in their implementation of or participation in national sweepstakes promotions, contests and other promotional activities.
Represented a private software company in a competitive auction sale involving management rollover equity.
Represented a private equity group in its acquisitions of portfolios of wireless telecom sites.
Represented a public company in a comprehensive capital structure refinancing, including tender offers for six series of outstanding notes, Rule 144A placements of $570 million of senior notes and $115 million of convertible senior subordinated notes and replacement of its senior secured revolving credit facility.
Represented a closely held private telecommunications company in a corporate reorganization involving stock-for-stock mergers and an exchange offer to acquire the outstanding shares of a majority-owned subsidiary.
Represented a film production company in its capital raise for the financing of an award-winning documentary feature film profiling America's homeless and an award-winning documentary feature film following internationally lauded social worker and 2012 CNN Hero of the Year award-winner Pushpa Basnet.
News & Events
- Oct. 2, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- May 9, 2016
- Feb. 4, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2014
- June 5, 2013
- Ashley C. Hedgecock Receives Charlotte Chamber Young Professionals’ Young Professional Business Leader AwardFeb. 25, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Oct. 10, 2008
50 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IndianaApril 9-10, 2013
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- June 10, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Limited Liability Companies Under North Carolina & Delaware LawApril 20, 2010Notes Bearing Interest, NCBA
- December 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 26, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Navigating the New Endowment Landscape Under UPMIFA and FAS 117-1: A Guide for North Carolina NonprofitsSept. 16, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Untying the Knot: The Propriety of South Carolina’s Recognition of Common Law Marriage200758 S.C. L. Rev. 555 (2007)
- CreatiVets, 2013-present
- With Open Eyes Foundation, Inc., 2010-present
- North Carolina Shakespeare Festival, Board of Trustees, 2009-14