Duke University, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007, Order of the Coif; Staff Editor, Duke Journal of Constitutional Law and Public Policy, 2006-07
Duke University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2003, Phi Beta Kappa
Jennifer Hutchens exclusively practices transactional law in the health care and life sciences industry. She represents industry stakeholders of all sizes, including providers, licensed agencies, industry-based nonprofits and management services organizations. Jennifer focuses on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and other affiliation transactions. Her experience includes preparing and negotiating an array of professional service, managed care and other industry contracts.
Jennifer also serves as outside general counsel to several industry clients. She frequently counsels clients on strategic corporate and nonprofit matters, including pursuing innovative collaboration opportunities, developing growth targets and best practices.
Jennifer advises clients on regulatory and compliance issues at both the federal and state level, including the Anti-Kickback and physician self-referral (Stark) laws, corporate practice of medicine and fee-splitting prohibitions, and licensure and administrative law matters. She has experience assisting clients with compliance self-audits, acquisition due diligence, corrective actions, and self-reporting under governmental and administrative regimes.
Jennifer was recognized as the Charlotte Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers® for 2018.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, health care, 2015-20; Charlotte Health Care Law Lawyer of the Year, 2018
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, health care, 2018-19
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, health care, 2013-19
- Mecklenburg County Bar Young Lawyers Division, Young Lawyer of the Year, 2011
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, “Young Guns,” 2011
Outside General Counsel
Serves as outside general counsel to the national testing organization for the profession of optometry. This includes conducting high-stakes internal investigations and negotiating resolutions.
Serves as outside general counsel to an innovative joint venture – composed of 12 health systems – formed to operate a provider-led and patient-centered health plan participating in the North Carolina Managed Medicaid Program.
Serves as outside general counsel to a North Carolina critical access hospital, providing advice on legal, transactional and strategic matters.
Counsels national radiology platform and its affiliated practices and service lines on a variety of corporate, health care, operational and regulatory matters.
Led health care due diligence review and analysis on behalf of an international public health care company for its $2 billion acquisition of a home dialysis equipment maker.
Represents a national health care corporation in the negotiation and development of joint venture operations with other hospitals and physician partners.
Counsels a national health care corporation in its purchases of a wide range of business operations, including dialysis clinics, vascular access centers and physician practice management services.
Advises health care industry stakeholders (including providers and professional and trade organizations) in the development of business relationships, affiliations, combinations and integrations.
Advised hospital clients with due diligence, self-audits and self-disclosure, including under the CMS Stark Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol.
Assisted with corporate representation of a North Carolina insurance company in acquiring minority interest in an urgent care company with multistate clinic operations.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- April 26, 2019
- Feb. 26, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- June 2, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- May 25, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Dec. 10, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Jan. 5, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Jennifer Csik Hutchens Named Chair of American Health Lawyers Association Young Professionals CouncilJuly 9, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- John B. Garver and Jennifer Csik Hutchens Quoted in Healthcare Risk Management on Stark Voluntary Disclosure ProtocolDec. 28, 2011
- July 28, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2008
- Oct. 19, 2007
Boston Marriott Copley Place
110 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02116June 26, 2019
Chicago Marriott Magnificent Mile
540 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611Nov. 13, 2018
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
540 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611Nov. 15, 2016
- Jan. 19, 2016
via WebinarSept. 25, 2014
via WebinarNov. 7, 2013
531 S. Spring Street
Burlington, North CarolinaJune 25, 2013
North Carolina Bar Association
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, North Carolina 27513April 19, 2013
via WebinarFeb. 26, 2013
Via WebinarDec. 3, 2012
Hyatt Regency Coconut Point
5001 Coconut Road
Bonita Springs, FloridaOct. 17-19, 2012
Via WebinarOct. 11, 2012
- Oct. 2018Hospitals & Health Systems RX, AHLA Newsletter
- July 19, 2018The Privacy Report Blog
- June 18, 2018The Privacy Report Blog
- May 16, 2017The Privacy Report Blog
- Jan. 27, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Sept. 16, 2015AHLA and AMA
- CMS May Soon Allow Expedited Processing for SRDP Filings Disclosing Potential Technical Stark Law ViolationsJuly 9, 2014Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Nov. 26, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- Aug. 7, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- July 8, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- June 4, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- May 22, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- Two New Settlements under Stark Self-Referral Disclosure Protocol; CMS Forecasts a Busy 2013 for SRDPsMarch 29, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- March 28, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- March 27, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 12, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Device and Drug Manufacturers Take Heed: It’s Time to Comply with the Physician Payment Sunshine ActMarch 4, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 4, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- February 2013AHLA Connections
- Jan. 18, 2013American Health Lawyers Association
- Dec. 4, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Nov. 12, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- OIG Advisory Opinion 12-15: OIG Says Hospital May Pay Physicians Per Diem For Providing Unrestricted Call Coverage In EDNov. 6, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 1, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Aug. 30, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Aug. 20, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Aug. 13, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Aug. 8, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- July 26, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- June 22, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- June 5, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 30, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- April 17, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 2, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- February 2012AHLA Connections
- February 2012AHLA Connections
- Feb. 9, 2012American Health Lawyers Association
- Don’t Forget About State Law: Michigan Decision Reminds Health Care Providers of HIPAA Preemption IssueJune 23, 2011Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- November 2009Charlotte Business Journal
- October 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- American Health Lawyers Association, Nominating Committee, 2019-present; Fundamentals in Health Law Conference Planning Committee, 2017-present; Governance Advisory Council, 2017-present; Young Professional Delegate to Board, 2016-17; Young Professionals Council, Chair, 2014-16 (Vice-Chair, 2013-14); Hospital and Health Systems Practice Group Leadership Development Program, 2012-13; Best Practices Health Law Curriculum Steering Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section Council, Chair, 2017-18; Vice Chair, 2016-17; Secretary, 2015-16; Treasurer, 2014-15; Member, 2009-12 and 2013-16
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys, Education Committee, 2013-16
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Member
- Women Business Leaders of the U.S. Health Care Industry Foundation, Member
- Greater Charlotte Healthcare Executives, Member
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Robinson Bradshaw Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Member
- Robinson Bradshaw Business Development Committee, Member
- Duke Alumni Admissions Program, Admissions Interviewer, 2007-present
- Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation, Scholar Alumna