University of Virginia, J.D., 2009; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 2007-09
Centre College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2006, Phi Beta Kappa
Kelly Koeninger is a versatile corporate and regulatory attorney and trusted adviser. She focuses her practice on health care regulatory and transactional matters and also counsels clients on privacy and cybersecurity issues. When representing health care entities, Kelly understands the intersection between business, clinical and legal objectives in health care, and she brings a global approach to transaction structuring and compliance issues by incorporating an understanding of federal and state fraud and abuse laws (including Stark and the Anti-Kickback Statute), state corporate practice of medicine rules and privacy laws with an extensive background in corporate and commercial transactions.
On behalf of health care entities, Kelly's experience includes the negotiation of complex joint venture transactions between regulated entities and providers as well as mergers and acquisitions and professional services agreements. She advises health care clients on transaction structuring, licensing matters, surprise billing (including the federal No Surprises Act), price transparency, and federal and private payor issues. Kelly also regularly counsels clients on HIPAA and other privacy laws and breach matters.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, health care, 2016, 2019
Advises large health care company on fraud and abuse compliance in connection with strategic venture capital investments in early-stage health care companies.
Regularly counsels health ventures on state corporate practice of medicine rules, including strategic guidance on structure and formation of management services organizations.
Provided comprehensive counsel to large health care services company on federal No Surprises Act and state surprise billing laws.
Represents a national health care corporation in the negotiation and development of joint venture operations with hospitals and physician groups.
Represented a large orthopedic practice as in-house counsel in negotiation of employment agreements, commercial contracts, corporate matters and hospital-physician relationships.
Cybersecurity and Privacy
Counsels covered entities and business associates on obligations under HIPAA.
Negotiates business associate agreements.
News & Events
- Dec. 11, 2020
- Feb. 26, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- April 30, 2018
- April 24, 2018
- Aug. 22, 2017
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Presented by Robinson Bradshaw and PYA
Via webinarMay 11, 2022
Via webinarMarch 29, 2022
Via webinarSept. 22, 2021
Client webinarMay 7, 2021
Via webinarJan. 27, 2021
i2i Center for Integrative Health webinarDec. 2, 2020
Via webinarOct. 28, 2020
Via webinarAug. 13, 2020
Client webinarJuly 21, 2020
Via webinarMay 12, 2020
i2i Center for Integrative Health's Transformation Today and Tomorrow Conference
80 Carolina Vista Drive
Pinehurst, NC 28374Dec. 4, 2019
401 S. Tryon St., Suite 3000
Charlotte, NC 28202May 16, 2019
- April 28, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Jan. 20, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 22, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 21, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 5, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 28, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Feb. 2020AHLA Connections
- Jan. 21, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 2018Hospitals & Health Systems RX, AHLA Newsletter
- July 19, 2018Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys, Board of Directors
- American Health Law Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Alexander Youth Network, Board of Directors