- Antitrust and Competition
- Class Actions
- Condemnation and Real Estate Disputes
- Coronavirus Resource Center
- Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Government and Internal Investigations
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Land Use and Zoning
- North Carolina Business Court
- Sports and Entertainment
University of Virginia, J.D., 1982, Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, Virginia Law Review, 1981-82
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1979, Phi Beta Kappa; John Motley Morehead Scholar; Phi Eta Sigma
Mark Merritt's practice covers a broad range of business-related litigation including antitrust, complex and class action, and shareholder litigation. He regularly represents clients in governmental investigations, including civil and criminal investigations conducted by federal antitrust agencies and investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Mark counsels clients on antitrust issues and assists them in obtaining regulatory approvals from the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice for corporate transactions. Additionally, he has assisted corporate clients in conducting internal investigations into accounting and financial irregularities.
Mark also represents clients who are faced with the condemnation of their property by a governmental authority. He has handled condemnation cases for golf courses, large outdoor amphitheaters, shopping centers, office buildings, industrial buildings and undeveloped land.
Mark served as vice chancellor and general counsel for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill from 2016-18. His knowledge and experience in higher education law benefits clients and higher educational institutions across the country.
Mark serves on Robinson Bradshaw's board of directors.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Bar Association, H. Brent McKnight Renaissance Lawyer Award, 2012
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers, litigation and antitrust, 2003-16
- The Best Lawyers in America, bet-the-company litigation, commercial litigation, eminent domain and condemnation, litigation - antitrust, litigation - securities, 1999-2017; Charlotte Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2014, 2016; Charlotte Litigation - Securities Lawyer of the Year, 2012; Charlotte Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law Lawyer of the Year, 2013, 2015, 2017
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite Hall of Fame, antitrust and litigation
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Top 10 North Carolina Super Lawyer, business litigation, 2007-16; top recipient of votes, 2009; Top 25 Charlotte, 2013-16
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina leading litigation attorney, antitrust, class actions, general commercial, securities, 2007-16
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable John M. Wisdom, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
Represented UNC-Chapel Hill in infractions proceeding before the NCAA Committee on Infractions. No violations were found, and no sanctions were imposed.
Represented the Southeastern Conference in In re NCAA Athletic Grant-in-Aid Cap Antitrust Litigation in the Northern District of California.
Represented Charlotte Pipe & Foundry in In re Cast Iron Soil Pipe and Fittings Antitrust Litigation.
Represented BB&T and its directors and officers in obtaining the dismissal of a shareholder derivative action relating to the auction rate securities market.
Defended Wachovia Corporation’s board of directors in litigation arising out of its merger with Wells Fargo.
Represented opt-out plaintiffs Fruit of the Loom, Russell Athletics and Springs Industries in obtaining a multimillion dollar settlement of In re Polyester Staples Fiber Antitrust Litigation.
Obtained summary judgment for client declaring North Carolina Installment Paper Dealer Tax unconstitutional. Client was awarded a tax refund in the amount of $35,885,976.
Obtained $4.8 million jury verdict in condemnation action arising out of construction of an interstate highway on client’s property. The award with interest was more than twice the Department of Transportation’s estimate of just compensation.
Represented investment banking client in several arbitrations involving fee disputes. Obtained award for the client and successfully defended against counterclaims.
Represented public company in insider trading investigation brought by the SEC. The SEC decided not to file any enforcement action against the company or any of its directors, officers or employees.
Represented manufacturing client in industry-wide, price-fixing investigation by the Department of Justice. No charges were brought by the Department of Justice arising out of the investigation.
News & Events
- Jan. 3, 2020
- Jan. 14, 2019
- Jan. 2, 2019
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- Feb. 1, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 5, 2016
- Oct. 21, 2015
- Robert E. Harrington and Mark W. Merritt Appointed to NC Commission on the Administration of Law and JusticeSept. 8, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Robert W. Fuller Quoted in Law360 Article "Broadcasters Escape NCAA Athletes' Publicity Rights Suit"June 4, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- May 11, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Nov. 11, 2014
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm for Fifth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2014
- Firm Has Most Charlotte Attorneys Named to List for Fourth Consecutive YearAug. 19, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Fourth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Mark W. Merritt quoted in The Charlotte Observer on "Judge dismisses public records suit filed against Carolinas Healthcare System"July 22, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Third Consecutive YearNov. 9, 2012
- Firm Once Again Has Most Charlotte Attorneys Named to ListOct. 2, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- August 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Mark W. Merritt Selected 2012 Recipient of H. Brent McKnight Renaissance Lawyer Award by North Carolina Bar AssociationApril 25, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Charlotte-based Firm Has More Ranked Lawyers Than Any Other North Carolina FirmNov. 16, 2011
- Thirteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers’ ‘2012 Charlotte Lawyers of the Year’Robinson Bradshaw Receives 14 Awards in 2012 RankingOct. 25, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Oct. 19, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Feb. 6, 2008
- Jan. 28, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Dec. 31, 2007
- Nov. 21, 2007
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Feb. 20, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Dec. 31, 2006
- Dec. 8, 2006
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
Byron's South End
101 W. Worthington Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28203Jan. 8, 2020
- Ethical Issues for Corporate and In-House Attorneys
Mecklenburg County Bar
2850 Zebulon Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28208Nov. 8, 2019
11 Boston Way
Asheville, NC 28803Oct. 4, 2019
Vancouver Convention Centre East
1055 Canada Pl.
Vancouver, British Columbia, CanadaFeb. 2, 2018
- Just the Beginning or Nearly the End: Regulatory Impact of the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners v. FTC
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
1200 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107June 2, 2016
Charlotte School of Law
201 S. College St. #400
Charlotte, NC 28244April 12-13, 2016
1600 Lamar St.
Houston, TX 77010Feb. 6, 2015
North Carolina Bar Center
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, North CarolinaJan. 24, 2014
- June 10, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Winter 2008North Carolina State Bar Journal
- Nov. 1, 2007Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina State Bar, Past President, 2017-18; President, 2016-17; President-Elect, 2015-16; Vice President, 2014-15; Councilor, 2006-present; Ethics Committee, Vice Chair, 2009, Chair 2010, 2011, 2013; Lawyers Assistance Program, Chair, 2008-12
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates, Member
- North Carolina Commission on the Administration of Law and Justice, Legal Professionalism Committee, Member, 2015-17
- North Carolina Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Law Section, 1996-present; Chair, 2005
- Mecklenburg County Bar, President, 2000-01; Executive Committee; Treasurer, 1996-98
- Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute
- American College of Trial Lawyers Fellow
- International Society of Barristers Fellow
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- Senior Warden, Christ Episcopal Church, 2007
- The Family Center, Board of Directors, 1994-99; President, 1997
- Legal Services of the Southern Piedmont, Board of Directors, 2013-14; 1989-98; President, 1992-94
- Morehead-Cain Scholarship Central Selection Committee, 2010-13, 2017