University of Virginia, J.D., 1996, Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1994-96
University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 1993, Phi Beta Kappa, Jefferson Scholar
Rick Starling practices in the areas of investment management, private equity and general corporate law. He co-chairs the firm’s Fund Formation and Investment Management Practice Group, where he represents fund managers in their fund offerings, institutional investors in their investments, and various clients with respect to regulatory, internal governance and structural issues specific to the investment management industry. Rick works with all types of private funds, including buyout, venture capital, hedge, real estate and fund of funds, as well as with SMAs, funds of one, managed account platforms and other bespoke products. He also frequently represents real estate developers and investors in capital-raising activities.
Recent transactions include offerings for a fund of hedge funds, a buyout fund, a captive strategic growth fund, a managed account platform, and a mixed-use real estate development, and numerous investments by institutional investors in a variety of transactions.
Rick also represents clients in other investment and corporate transactions, and, as an extension of his transactional work, he regularly advises clients on business formations, significant commercial contracts and other general legal matters.
Honors & Awards
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Richard L. Williams, Eastern District, Virginia, 1996-97
Represented a fund manager in connection with the formation of a middle-market buyout fund with $925 million in investor commitments.
Represented a fund of funds manager in the formation of three successive sets of U.S.-focused funds of funds, two successive sets of European-focused funds of funds and various separately managed accounts, with aggregate investor commitments of more than $2.1 billion.
Represented an investment manager in the formation of a secondary fund of funds comprising interests in 26 buyout funds with aggregate investor commitments exceeding $700 million.
Represented a fund sponsor in the formation of a hybrid fund with aggregate commitments of $270 million, focusing on both publicly traded securities and investments in private companies, and the subsequent conversion of that fund to a hedge fund.
Represented a captive fund manager in its spinout from a leading financial institution.
Represented a multifamily office in connection with the establishment of a fund of hedge funds targeting $100 million in investor subscriptions.
Represented managers of first-time hedge funds targeting initial commitments from $2 million to $20 million.
Represented a fund manager in connection with the formation of a lower middle-market buyout fund targeting $100 million in investor commitments.
Represented a community nonprofit hospital in the formation of a captive venture capital fund.
Represented a real estate firm in connection with the recapitalization of two portfolios of commercial office and industrial properties and the offering of more than $50 million in equity interests therein.
Represents numerous institutional investors in a wide variety of commingled private equity, venture capital, real estate, hedge and other fund investments, as well as in the establishment of managed accounts and managed account platforms and in co-investment, secondary and other transactions.
Represents several clients with their registration as investment advisers, including the preparation and filing of Form ADV; the drafting of compliance manuals, codes of ethics and other materials; and working with regulators on compliance issues.
News & Events
- Nov. 16, 2022
- Aug. 23, 2022
- Nov. 10, 2021
- Aug. 26, 2021
- April 23, 2021
- Feb. 4, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- Feb. 18, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Nov. 22, 2016
- Nov. 21, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- July 7, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
201 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NCDec. 9, 2015
The Ritz-Carlton Lodge
1 Lake Oconee Trail
Greensboro, GeorgiaSept. 10-12, 2014
The Ritz-Carlton Lodge
One Lake Oconee Trail
Greensboro, GeorgiaSept. 22, 2011
- Developments in the Regulation of Fund Managers in North CarolinaFeb. 1, 2014Notes Bearing Interest, the newsletter of the Business Law Section of the NCBA
- May 2011Business North Carolina, Law Journal
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 25, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 2, 2006Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Regulation Committee, Chairman, 2011-19; Member, 2019-present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Legislative Rapid Response Team, 2019-present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Dodd-Frank Investment Advisory Task Force, Organizer and Chairman, 2011-13
- American Bar Association, Committee on Institutional Investors
- Council of Institutional Investors
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- Jefferson Scholars Regional Selection Committee, Chairman, 2011-18; Member, 2003-present
- Arts+, Board of Directors, 2015-22
- Christ Episcopal Church Worship Band, 2011-present
- Charlotte Museum of History, Board of Trustees, 2008-11
- Inventors’ Network of the Carolinas, Steering Committee and Board Member, 2004-08