District of Columbia
American University, J.D., cum laude, 2001; Recent Developments Editor, Administrative Law Review
University of Miami, B.S., with honors, 1998
Sean Sullivan advises clients throughout the country regarding all of the major federal environmental programs, with a particular emphasis on hazardous waste, Brownfields redevelopment, the Clean Water Act, the Clean Air Act, and emerging contaminants like PFAS and 1,4-dioxane. He leverages his broad range of experience and his technical background in environmental science to find creative, cost-effective solutions for the most challenging environmental matters.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, environmental, 2014-20
- The Best Lawyers in America, environmental law, 2020
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite Hall of Fame, environmental law
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, environmental, 2016-present; Rising Star, 2012-15
Represented an international waste management company in litigation regarding RCRA corrective action requirements.
Resolved hazardous waste enforcement actions against paper and chemical manufacturers, retailers and transportation companies.
Guided numerous developers through the North Carolina Brownfields Program and the South Carolina Voluntary Cleanup Contract Program.
Assisted pulp and paper manufacturers with sales and acquisitions of production facilities and implementation of the 1-hour SO2 NAAQS.
Represented water utilities regarding the presence of emerging contaminants in intake water.
Negotiated a consent judgment to resolve wetlands and stormwater compliance issues at a large residential development site.
Represented a manufacturer of after-market automotive parts in an EPA investigation regarding defeat devices.
Represented multiple poultry processors regarding Clean Water Act permitting and compliance matters.
Served on Gov. Cooper's transition team for the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality following the 2016 election.
News & Events
- April 16, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 15, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 1, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Environmental Committee, Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Section, Chair, 2016; Membership and Ethics Committee, Co-Chair