Wake Forest University, J.D./M.B.A., with distinction, 1989
Haverford College, B.A., 1982
Bill Toole has significant experience with environmental compliance counseling and litigation. His areas of concentration include resolving complicated environmental conflicts, site development using Brownfields mechanisms, stormwater compliance, federal and local wastewater discharge issues, wetlands permitting, hazardous waste compliance, pre-acquisition due diligence, and Superfund cleanup and cost recovery actions. Bill also advises clients with regard to underground storage tanks and community-right-to-know regulations.
He also provides intellectual property advice to technology providers and end users with regard to licensing, development and other intellectual property matters.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, environmental, 2004-18
- The Best Lawyers in America, environmental, natural resources, 2006-19
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, environmental, 2006-10, 2013-15, 2018-19
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, environmental, 2006-19
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Catawba Land Conservancy, Volunteer of the Year, 2012
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Louis B. Meyer, North Carolina Supreme Court, 1989-90
Identified, quantified and isolated alleged $450 million environmental liabilities associated with purchase of substantially all manufacturing and real property assets of Chapter 11 bankruptcy debtor; extensive negotiations with EPA to obtain comfort letter; obtained Brownfields Agreement from state of North Carolina; negotiated landfill closures from predecessor to Chapter 11 debtor.
Negotiates unique response to historic PCB contamination at scrap metal yard with EPA, state of North Carolina, predecessor owner/operator and adjacent railroads.
Manages politically sensitive cleanup in residential area as manufacturing plant shuttered and workers laid off.
Negotiated continued manufacturing discharges, permitting plant to stay open after local water authority refused to accept waste water due to multiple instances of waste water discharges causing upset to municipal waste water treatment plant.
Serves as primary counsel for groups of potentially responsible parties in Superfund claims by EPA and South Carolina. Negotiates settlements, internal allocations and strategic defense initiatives.
Negotiated favorable Habitat Conservation Plan under the Endangered Species Act after a pair of bald eagles chose to build a nest in the middle of a housing development in active construction.
Identifies, quantifies and negotiates comprehensive environmental indemnities from sellers of manufacturing facilities in deals ranging from $350 million to $2.6 billion.
Successfully challenges federal allegations of stormwater violations against multiple land developers.
Assists dry cleaner and gas station owners and operators obtain trust fund coverage and respond to claims for alleged contamination.
News & Events
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Jan. 2, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Jan. 3, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Oct. 23, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- Dec. 26, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 28, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Dec. 31, 2007
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Dec. 31, 2006
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
Sheraton Bogota Hotel
Calle 25 B Nº 69 C-80
BogotaNov. 7, 2012
Sheraton Bogota Hotel
Calle 25 B Nº 69 C-80
BogotaOct. 9, 2012
Jane S. McKimmon Center
1101 Gorman Street
Raleigh, North CarolinaOct. 10, 2011
- March 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Adjunct Professor of Environmental Law
- Goodwill Industries of the Southern Piedmont, Board of Trustees, 2015-present
- North Carolina Clean Water Management Trust Fund, Board of Trustees, 2013-present
- City Council, Belmont, North Carolina, 2010-13
- Community Foundation of Gaston County, Inc., Board of Directors, 2007-14
- Gaston Regional Chamber, Board of Directors, 2007-10
- Gaston Day School, Board of Directors, 1998-2004; President, 2000-01; Parent Association, President 2005-07