University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, LL.B., 1966
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., 1963, John Motley Morehead Scholar
Richard Vinroot is a commercial litigator in the areas of land use and zoning, real estate development and construction, and employment. During the past several years, he has also litigated extensively on behalf of charter schools throughout North Carolina. Richard has appeared and served as lead trial counsel in the successful prosecution, defense and resolution of numerous actions in the federal and state courts, and in arbitrations in all of these areas, for the past 44 years.
Richard's experience includes successful prosecution of multimillion-dollar claims by public charter schools against governmental agencies for violation of state laws, reversal of a multimillion-dollar assessment by a state agency against an international insurance company, successful appeals before the North Carolina appellate courts, and numerous trials concerning commercial transactions in the state and federal courts.
Honors & Awards
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, commercial litigation, litigation - construction, litigation - land use and zoning, litigation - municipal, 2007-17; Charlotte Litigation - Land Use and Zoning Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, employment, 2007, commercial litigation, 2009
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business litigation, 2006
- American City and County, Municipal Leader of the Year Award, 1995
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Prosecuted multiple actions against public school systems for their underfunding of public charter schools. Sugar Creek Charter Sch. Inc. v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Bd. of Educ., 188 N.C. App. 454 (2007); Sugar Creek Charter Sch. Inc. v. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Bd. of Educ., 195 N.C. App. 348 (2009); Thomas Jefferson Classical Academy v. Rutherford County Bd. of Educ., 715 S.E.2d 625 (2011).
Prosecuted an action against the North Carolina Department of Insurance in which a multimillion-dollar assessment against a large national insurance company was reversed in North Carolina Superior Court.
Defended multiple claims asserted against a large national construction company relating to its multimillion-dollar contract for the construction of Charlotte, North Carolina’s light rail system in U.S. District Court (W.D.N.C.).
Prosecuted and defended numerous claims on behalf of national firms performing utility construction work for the city of Charlotte and other local governments.
Successfully prosecuted action against the city of Charlotte relating to a multiyear, multimillion-dollar contract for waste collection in which the city's actions were determined to be anti-competitive and unlawful. Cedar Greene, LLC, et al v. City of Charlotte, 739 S.E.2d 553 (N.C. 2013).
Prosecuted homeowners' claims against multiple contractors, architects, engineers and other professionals for negligence, breach of contract, breach of warranty and unfair trade practices concerning the defective construction of high-end condominiums with extensive structural defects.
Defended breach of contract claims against the developer of a high-end commercial project resulting in the dismissal of such claims by the North Carolina Court of Appeals. New Bar Partnership v. W.D. Martin, et al, 729 S.E.2d 675.
Defended claims asserted against the developer of a large residential construction project by a local homeowners association, resulting in the dismissal of those claims by the North Carolina Court of Appeals. Coventry Woods v. City of Charlotte, et al, 202 N.C. App. 247 (2010).
News & Events
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 10, 2016
- May 20, 2016
- Dec. 9, 2015
- Nov. 11, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Oct. 15, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Richard A. Vinroot quoted in The Charlotte Observer article, "Charlotte unfair to trash haulers, judge finds"The Charlotte Observer, Dec. 21, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- April 20, 2007
- Dec. 31, 2006
- Sept. 6, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
John Locke Foundation
200 W. Morgan Street, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27601Jan. 23, 2017
Renaissance St. Louis Airport Hotel
9801 Natural Bride Road
St. Louis, MO 63134Jan. 7, 2017
- Mayor of Charlotte, 1991-95
- Charlotte City Council, 1983-91
- Martin Marietta Materials Inc., Director, 1997-present
- Republican nominee for governor of North Carolina, 2000
- Sugar Creek Charter School, Board of Directors, 1996-present
- Charlotte YMCA, Board of Trustees
- Myers Park Presbyterian Church, Sunday School Teacher
- U. S. Army, active duty (Republic of Vietnam), 1967-68