Crash Course in Board EssentialsPDF
ASC Board Room
227 W. Trade St., Suite 250
Charlotte, NC 28202
Whether you are a new board member or a seasoned volunteer looking for a refresher on best practices, Dianne Chipps Bailey's workshop is for you! As volunteer leaders, board members play a critical role in the success of nonprofit arts and cultural organizations and have significant legal and ethical responsibilities to their constituents, staff and communities. Strong, knowledgeable boards help organizations gain credibility, provide important access to the community, and serve as effective advocates.
Unfortunately, it can sometimes take several months or even years of service before board members begin to function effectively in their leadership roles. This workshop was designed to help speed up the learning curve for existing board members who may not have had the opportunity to participate in ASC’s Cultural Leadership Training Program by providing valuable information near the start of the new board year. CLT alumni interested in a “refresher” course were also welcome to attend.
Participants received top nonprofit expertise in a compressed information format.
- Basics of NC and federal nonprofit regulations and requirements
- Minimizing personal liability exposure in nonprofit board service
- Differentiation in board leadership and staff management responsibilities
- Holding the organization, board and staff leadership appropriately accountable
- Types of risks faced by a nonprofit that are not always glaringly apparent to the board
- How to develop strategies for broad, diverse, sustainable funding
- Being an effective community ambassador on behalf of the nonprofit organization
- Building strategic relationships for future funding and support