Fundamentals of Health LawPDF
Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
540 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
Jennifer Hutchens presented two sessions at the American Health Lawyers Association's annual Fundamentals of Health Law Conference. Jennifer was also one of four members on the conference's planning committee.
Her two sessions were:
The Fundamentals of Health Care Transactions
- Different types of transaction structures for a health care deal (e.g., asset purchase versus stock purchase or merger)
- A working framework for approaching due diligence in a health care transaction
- Regulatory and legal issues common to health care transactions (e.g., federal AntiKickback and Stark Laws, antitrust issues and tax-exempt issues)
- The importance of the concepts of "fair market value" and "commercial reasonableness" to a health care transaction
- Apply these strategies to a case study (physician-hospital integration), sample letter of intent and sample due diligence checklist to understand how various factual scenarios could affect the transaction and to highlight diligence and transactional considerations
Deeper Dive into Health Care Transactions: Adding Value in Deal Negotiations
- Further understanding of the roles of lawyers and other team members (e.g., compliance, operations, finance and business) in accomplishing health care transactions
- Practical guidance for recognizing and solving critical path items common in negotiations of health care transactions (e.g., indemnification)
- Best practices for "getting the deal done," including typical crisis points, expecting the unexpected, and simple ways for everyone to add value all along the way