University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., with honors, 1988, Order of the Coif; Note and Comment Editor, North Carolina Law Review, 1987-88
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1984, Phi Beta Kappa
Ben Baldwin's practice covers a broad range of corporate finance and commercial transactions with an emphasis on lending, acquisitions and joint ventures. He has extensive experience representing banks in senior loan transactions and mezzanine and private equity funds in subordinated debt and equity investments, as well as representing public and private companies as borrowers in a broad array of finance transactions.
Ben has handled acquisitions and dispositions for many clients, including the owner of a portfolio of cemeteries and funeral homes in the Southeast and the owner of a foundry business. He advises businesses in a variety of commercial and corporate matters, including organizational issues; shareholder and operating agreements; capital and debt structures; joint ventures; corporate governance issues, including with respect to minority ownerships disputes; and various types of commercial contracts. Ben has served as outside general counsel to several of these clients.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Distinguished Service Award, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, banking and finance, corporate, 2007-24
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, banking, 2023
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, business law, 2021
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represented a privately owned owner of a plastic pipe product manufacturer in the sale of its business.
Represented a privately owned foundry company in connection with various merger and acquisition transactions.
Represented a privately owned operator of a chain of cemeteries and funeral homes in its acquisition of properties from national cemetery and funeral home consolidators, the financing of such acquisitions and various related dispositions.
Represented the founders of a startup media and advertising business in their fundraising efforts.
Represented a real estate investor in connection with various controlling and minority joint venture investments.
Represented a private equity investor in connection with various minority joint venture investments.
Represented a private equity firm in the financing of its investment in a specialty pharmaceutical company.
Represented a mezzanine fund in its preferred equity investment in an operator-franchisee of several national fast-food restaurants.
Represented a newly formed entity in the corporate reorganization of a promoter of broadband availability and subsequently represented the reorganized company in a series of equity issuances.
Represented a private equity fund in its acquisition of a controlling interest in a developer and designer of single board computer products.
Represented a supplier of physical education curricula and equipment in its acquisition of a related product line.
Represented various private equity and mezzanine funds in obtaining short-term liquidity lines of credit.
Represented a minority shareholder of a closely held corporation in its negotiated exit from the investment.
Represented a newly formed borrower for its senior and mezzanine debt facilities to fund an acquisition of a health care company.
Represented an investment fund in its direct equity investment in a regional dental practice group.
Represented an investment fund in its direct equity investment in a food product manufacturer.
News & Events
- Aug. 17, 2023
- Jan. 20, 2023
- Aug. 23, 2022
- Aug. 26, 2021
- Jan. 4, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- May 12, 2016
- March 11, 2016
- Feb. 22, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Benjamin W. Baldwin Interviewed in The Charlotte Observer on 'Crowdfunding your small business or startup: What you need to know"Dec. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
North Carolina Bar Center
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, NC 27513Oct. 25, 2018
Pinehurst Resort & Spa
80 Carolina Vista Drive
Pinehurst, North CarolinaFeb. 20, 2015
Pinehurst Resort & Spa
80 Carolina Vista Drive
Pinehurst, North CarolinaFeb. 19, 2015
- March 7, 2016North Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Oct. 25, 2013Charlotte Business Journal
- August 2013Business North Carolina, Law Journal
- Dec. 3, 2012Westlaw Journal - Bank & Lender Liability
- July 2, 2012Westlaw Journal - Bank & Lender Liability
- A Comparative Study of the Corporate and LLC Laws of North Carolina and Delaware2010NCBA, Business Law Section
- Limited Liability Companies Under North Carolina & Delaware LawApril 20, 2010Notes Bearing Interest, NCBA
- North Carolina Bar Association, Board of Governors, 2022-25
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Chair, 2019-21; Vice Chair, 2017-19; Annual Meeting Planning Committee, 2015; Business Law Institute Planning Committee, 2015; Business Section Council, 2008-10, 2015-16; Delaware-North Carolina Corporate Comparison Committee, Co-chair
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
- "Robinson on North Carolina Corporation Law" (published by LexisNexis), General Editor
- NC LEAP, Steering Committee, 2011-14
- Council for Children's Rights, Custody Advocacy Program
- Ben has served as a member of the North Carolina Bar Association's Military Veterans Affairs Committee and has represented military veterans in disability benefits matters on a pro bono basis.