Vanderbilt University, J.D., 1984, Patrick Wilson Scholar; Member, Vanderbilt Law Review, 1982-84
Davidson College, A.B., magna cum laude, 1981, Phi Beta Kappa
Blaine Sanders' litigation practice includes commercial, real estate development, intellectual property, employment, and sports and entertainment law, along with asbestos products liability. He has more than 30 years of experience in resolving disputes concerning complex commercial and real estate contracts, either by avoiding or through litigation.
Blaine's sports and entertainment work primarily involves representation of NASCAR owners and drivers in a variety of disputes. Concerning products liability, he served on the team that tried In re Garlock Sealing Techs., LLC, 504 B.R. 71 (W.D.N.C. Bankr. 2014) on behalf of the debtor, which manufactured products containing asbestos.
Blaine currently serves as outside general counsel to Alexander Youth Network, which treats children with serious emotional and behavioral problems. He was formerly the associate general counsel of United Dominion Industries.
Honors & Awards
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, sports law, 2006-18
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business litigation, 2008-17
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina leading litigation attorney, intellectual property, labor and employment, 2017
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2016
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represents manufacturer in defense of mass tort claims in bankruptcy, including adversary proceedings brought against asbestos plaintiffs' law firms.
Procured multimillion-dollar arbitration award for regional convenience store chain in supply agreement dispute with global oil company.
Favorably resolved contract claims during trial against real estate developer arising out of sale of regional mall (tort claims were previously dismissed at summary judgment).
Represented Formula One team in hearing before the World Motor Sport Council against the Federation International de I'Automobile.
Obtained preliminary injunction against national retailer that had attempted to terminate anchor lease with real estate developer based upon signage issue.
Represented a global power equipment manufacturer in favorable resolution of litigation concerning alleged national supply agreement with major home improvement retailer.
Represented an international aerospace manufacturer concerning multimillion-dollar settlement of assorted claims arising out of major asset acquisition.
Secured summary judgment on behalf of NASCAR Sprint Cup team against claims of trade secret misappropriation.
Represented a NASCAR Sprint Cup race driver in defeating former race team's effort to enjoin driver from competing on behalf of current race team.
Defended a national insurance wholesaler in trademark action and prevailing in jurisdictional dispute, ultimately resolving case on merits.
Obtained directed verdict on behalf of real estate developer against landowner making conflicting claim to real property.
Successfully resolved multimillion-dollar life insurance policy dispute arising out of corporate transaction.
News & Events
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Nov. 9, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- March 18, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Oct. 21, 2015
- Sept. 22, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Dec. 26, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Feb. 3, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
- March 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Vanderbilt Law School, Board of Advisors, 2013-16
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member of Sports & Entertainment, Litigation and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, 2011-16; Chair, 2015-16
- Robinson Bradshaw Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Chair
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Edward Rafeedie, U.S. District Court, Central District, California, 1984-85
- Dilworth Little League, Coach, Board of Directors, 1995-2008
- Center for Community Transitions, Board of Directors