Sports and EntertainmentPDF
Robinson Bradshaw is home to a nationally recognized Sports and Entertainment Practice Group that serves a wide range of industries. We bring a great deal of value to our clients by drawing on our broad-based general experience in business law and litigation, our specialized knowledge from sports representations, and our experience in intellectual property matters, taxes and representations of large nonprofit entities.
Our work in motorsports has helped shape the legal landscape of NASCAR and the American motorsports industry, and we maintain one of the most extensive slates of top team owner, sponsor, organizer and driver client bases in the country. We are in the heart of NASCAR country, and our unparalleled involvement in the motorsports arena gives us a unique perspective, enabling us to provide top-notch service to our motorsports clients.
Our representation of college athletic conferences, including the SEC, spans a range of legal areas, including television network agreements, media and licensing arrangements, scholarship litigation, and tournament and bowl media agreements. We have experience advising major players in professional sports – including football, basketball, baseball and golf – as well as clients in the television, film and music industries.
We also provide intellectual property counseling and litigation services related to the development, maintenance, protection and enforcement of our sports and entertainment clients’ trademarks, copyrights and publicity rights before and after death.
Develop ownership structures and advise in acquisition transactions for NASCAR clients.
Develop sponsorship, licensing, employment, service and driver agreements that have become NASCAR industry standards.
Developed the legal structure for and negotiated the legal terms of the SEC Network agreement with ESPN and all of the Conference's other media, bowl, tournament and licensing agreements.
Represent the SEC in the litigation challenging NCAA scholarship rules.
Represented smaller collegiate conferences, including the CIAA and Atlantic Sun, in various capacities.
Represented the NCAA in its initial media agreement related to the 14-year, $10 billion deal signed in 2010 covering the broadcast rights of the men’s basketball championship (March Madness) on CBS and Turner Sports, as well as its agreement with ESPN for the broadcast rights for 24 other NCAA championships, its agreement with the Golf Channel for the broadcast rights for the NCAA golf championships, and its agreement with Turner Sports for the management of NCAA.com and the NCAA’s digital assets.
Developed the entertainment, sponsorship and licensing legal framework for a major theme park brand.
Drafted and negotiated dozens of sports sponsorship arrangements for a major national sponsor.
Regularly advise clients on marketing and advertising issues related to sponsorship activation programs, sweepstakes and reward programs.
Assist athletes and sports organizations in the formation, administration and management of their nonprofit efforts and foundations.
News & Events
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Nov. 1, 2016
- Oct. 26, 2016
- Aug. 17, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- July 20, 2016
- June 27, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Nov. 2, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Robert W. Fuller Quoted in Law360 Article "Broadcasters Escape NCAA Athletes' Publicity Rights Suit"June 4, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Robinson Bradshaw Nationally Ranked in 2015 “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings include recognition as a Tier 1 firm in 38 practice areas in CharlotteNov. 6, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Recommended by Managing Intellectual Property; Two Attorneys Named ‘IP Stars’ for Second Consecutive YearMay 30, 2014
- April 28, 2014
- April 10, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Jan. 2, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 38 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- July 10, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw Recommended as Tier 1 Intellectual Property Firm by Managing Intellectual PropertyTwo Attorneys Named ‘IP Stars’June 25, 2013
- June 19, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw noted in AmLaw Daily article on "The Score: Robinson Bradshaw Gets Call for Project X"May 10, 2013
- Ashley C. Hedgecock Receives Charlotte Chamber Young Professionals’ Young Professional Business Leader AwardFeb. 25, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Jan. 2, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 35 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2011-12 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report, Best LawyersNov. 1, 2011
- Robinson Bradshaw Noted in AmLaw Daily Article on "Robinson Bradshaw, Polsinelli Shughart Get Call on Aggies' Big 12 End Run"Sept. 8, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Charlotte-Based Firm Recognized in 26 Practice AreasSept. 15, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Robinson Bradshaw's Sports & Entertainment Practice Profiled in Street & Smith's Sports Business JournalMay 3, 2010
- April 26, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
Denver Marriott City Center
1701 California St.
Denver, CO 80202May 19, 2017
Hilton Wilmington Riverside
301 N. Water St.
Wilmington, NC 28401April 28, 2017
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
1 S. Capitol Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204April 19, 2017
JW Marriott L.A. LIVE
900 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015May 13, 2016
Charlotte School of Law
201 S. College St. #400
Charlotte, NC 28244April 12-13, 2016
- Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law Symposium
Wake Forest University School of Law
Worrell Professional Center, Room 1312
1834 Wake Forest Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27106Feb. 5, 2016
- National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School, Maintaining Fairness, Integrity and Safety in Sports
Eckstein Hall, Suite 238
Marquette University Law School
1215 W. Michigan Street
Milwaukee, WIOct. 16, 2015
Wake Forest University Charlotte Center
200 North College Street, Suite 150
Charlotte, North CarolinaJune 24, 2015
- Sports Lawyers Association Annual Conference: Laps, Chips & Lobs: Legal Issues Facing NASCAR, the PGA Tour and ATP World Tour
Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
700 Aliceanna Street
Baltimore, MarylandMay 14-16, 2015
Millhiser Moot Court Room
Washington and Lee UniversityJan. 23, 2015
NC Bar Center
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, North Carolina 27513Dec. 12, 2014
4600 Roush Place
Concord, NC 28027Aug. 20, 2014
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown
222 South Caldwell Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 8-9, 2014
3315 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GeorgiaMay 16-17, 2013
50 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IndianaApril 9-10, 2013
Orange County Convention Center
9990 International Drive
Orlando, FloridaNov. 28, 2012
Hyatt House Charlotte/Center City
435 East Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 10-11, 2012
- March 31, 2014Sports Business Journal
- March 8, 2013Sports Litigation Alert
- June 2011NCBA, Sports & Entertainment Law Section
- Dec. 20, 2010South Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- June 10, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication