University of Wisconsin, J.D., with honors, 1985
University of Wisconsin, B.A., magna cum laude, 1982
Steve DeGeorge's litigation practice focuses on insurance coverage, product liability, toxic tort and environmental disputes. He also counsels clients in mergers, acquisitions and other commercial transactions presenting these issues.
Steve represents National Gypsum Company in an insurance coverage action that will establish new law concerning the “absolute pollution exclusion.” National Gypsum Company v. ACE American Ins. Co., U.S. Dist. Court, Western District of North Carolina, Case No. 3:10-CV-00022. He has represented alleged polluters at several EPA National Priority List sites, including the Horton Iron Site (Wilmington, North Carolina), the Valmont TCE Site (Hazleton, Pennsylvania) and the Ward Transformer Site (Raleigh, North Carolina). This representation has included negotiation with the EPA of appropriate remedial measures and liability allocation, as well as successful litigation of our clients’ alleged liabilities. Steve serves as U.S. coordinating counsel for product liability and toxic tort litigation brought against three international product manufacturers. In this capacity, he has assembled a nationwide network of excellent and cost-effective product liability attorneys.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business litigation, 2012-15; insurance coverage, 2016-17
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, commercial litigation, environmental, insurance, litigation - environmental, 2011-18
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, environmental, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
National litigation coordinating counsel for defending product liability claims, including asbestos claims, against manufacturers of valves, building products and security fencing.
Represents international network infrastructure provider in insurance coverage dispute involving major cable television system in Ireland.
Represents multinational energy company in negotiating remedial action at EPA National Priority List Site.
Successfully arbitrated on behalf of nation’s largest office building developer.
Managed litigation and toxic tort due diligence in $2 billion transaction involving building products manufacturer.
Obtained defense verdict in jury trial in federal action against manufacturer of airport equipment against patent and trade secret misappropriation claims. Catalyst & Chemical Serv., Inc. v. Global Ground Support, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Case No. 04-00388.
Defends federal CERCLA environmental cost recovery lawsuits across the United States.
Lead counsel for policyholders in coverage litigation in North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Florida.
Lead defense counsel in dispute concerning testing of large diesel engines in AVL Powertrain Engineering, Inc. v. Fairbanks Morse Engine, U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, Case No. 14-CV-877.
Lead defense counsel in product liability case involving wheelchair component part in D'Amico v. Invacare Corp., et al., Dallas County, Texas District Court, Case No. DC-13-6387.
News & Events
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 17, 2017
- Dec. 7, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- June 23, 2015
- R. Steven DeGeorge Quoted in NC Lawyers Weekly Article "Clause allows insurer to avoid paying $7M legal bill"June 1, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- June 12, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Nov. 1, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Nov. 21, 2007
Holiday Inn Asheville-Biltmore East
1450 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805Nov. 17, 2017
Port-au-Prince, HaitiMay 16, 2017
101 N. Tryon Street, Suite 1900
Charlotte, North CarolinaNov. 13, 2015
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown
222 South Caldwell Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 8-9, 2014
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport
2700 Little Rock Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28214Dec. 20, 2013
Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
2200 Rexford Road
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 11, 2013
The Double Tree Hotel
2600 Yorkmont Road
Charlotte, North CarolinaNov. 16, 2011
- Court Rules Computer Fraud Insurance Policy Inapplicable to Most Common Form of Computer-Related FraudFeb. 20, 2017
- Nov. 1, 2016Claims
- Sept. 13, 2016Law360
- May 18, 2015Carolinas Class Action Blog
- Jan. 5, 2015Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Feb. 24, 2014Risk Management
- Aug. 16, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 19, 2013NCBA Construction Law
- Feb. 17, 2012Westlaw Journal - Insurance Coverage
- Sept. 13, 2011Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 30, 2011Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Chemical Waste Litigation Reporter, Board of Advisors
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee; Toxic Torts and Environmental Litigation Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Insurance Law Section, Council Member; Bylaws Committee and Ethics Committee, Chair
- Project Life Movement, Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Levine Children's Hospital, Board of Ambassadors, 2012-present
- Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2004-present
- Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, Visitors Advisory Committee, 2004-present
- Leadership Charlotte, Board of Directors, 1998-2004