2014 Statewide Conference for North Carolina's Nonprofit Sector: Nonprofits Front and CenterPDF
Sheraton Imperial Hotel
4700 Emperor Blvd.
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
Robinson Bradshaw's Dianne Chipps Bailey co-presented at the 2014 Statewide Conference for North Carolina's Nonprofit Sector. The conference was held September 18-19 at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
Ms. Bailey along with David Heinen, Director of Public Policy and Advocacy, N.C. Center for Nonprofits; and Dennis Walsh, CPA, Vice President and Treasurer, The Micah Project presented a workshop entitled "2014 Legal Update: Better Safe Than Sorry."
At this workshop, participants learned:
- How new state tax laws affect your nonprofit’s operations
- How to keep your federal tax exemption
- If you need a charitable solicitation license
- The legal way to solicit and acknowledge contributions
- How board members can satisfy their fiduciary duties
- The forms you need to file with the IRS
- When to pay unrelated business income tax
- Whether your human resources practices meet Fair Labor Standards Act requirements and other laws.
Participants also had opportunities to ask experts about the specific compliance issues facing your nonprofit. (4 hours CLE credit pending NC State Bar approval).