Crash Course in Board EssentialsPDF
Foundation For The Carolinas
220 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte, North Carolina
Robinson Bradshaw's Dianne Chipps Bailey spoke at the Arts & Science Council's "Crash Course in Board Essentials." This event was held on October 2, 2014 in the Silverman Pavilion at the Foundation For The Carolinas.
Whether you are a new board member or a seasoned volunteer looking for a refresher on best practices, this workshop is for you!
As volunteer leaders, board members play a critical role in the success of nonprofit arts and cultural organizations and have significant legal and ethical responsibilities to their constituents, staff, and communities. Strong, knowledgeable boards help organizations gain credibility, provide important access to the community, and serve as effective advocates.
Participants will receive top nonprofit expertise in a compressed information format and training that will get you comfortable immediately as a more productive, high contributing board leader.
Topics will include:
- Basics of NC and Federal nonprofit regulations and requirements
- Minimizing personal liability exposure in nonprofit board service
- Differentiation in board leadership and staff management responsibilities
- Holding the organization, board and staff leadership appropriately accountable
- Types of risks faced by a nonprofit that are not always glaringly apparent to the board
- How to develop strategies for broad, diverse, sustainable funding
- Being an effective community ambassador on behalf of the nonprofit organization
- Building strategic relationships for future funding and support