University of South Carolina, J.D., 1980
Winthrop University, A.B., cum laude, 1977, Phi Kappa Phi
Ben Johnson has represented companies in business disputes for more than 30 years. He has extensive experience in commercial and corporate litigation, employment litigation, and environmental and land use litigation. Admitted to practice in both South Carolina and North Carolina, Ben has conducted many trials in the state and federal courts, along with preliminary motions, injunctions and appeals. He represents the firm's clients in NLRB proceedings and advises clients on labor issues arising in business transactions.
In 2015, Ben represented company clients in securities and environmental class actions in federal court in South Carolina. He was also part of a team of Robinson Bradshaw lawyers engaged to defend an automobile manufacturer in a class action lawsuit filed in South Carolina by the EEOC challenging the company's use of criminal conviction guidelines.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Represents public company in securities class action under Section 10b-5 and related shareholder derivative action against its directors and officers.
Served as co-counsel for telephone companies in lawsuit against national wireless carrier over violations of parties' operating agreement.
Represented software company in response to business claim asserted on eve of merger with Fortune 500 company and achieved favorable result allowing merger to close as scheduled.
Represented business client sued under the South Carolina Uniform Partnership Act and involving numerous investment properties in South Carolina.
Represented Tier-1 supplier to auto industry in action to enforce pricing and exchange-rate terms in agreement with foreign steel supplier, securing relief in favor of client.
Represented southeastern retailer in a landmark shareholder dissent and appraisal action under the South Carolina Business Corporations Act. Belk of Spartanburg, SC v. Thompson, 337 S.C. 109, 522 S.E.2d 357 (S.C. App. 1999).
Represented auto manufacturer before South Carolina Department of Revenue in appeal involving valuation of its manufacturing property.
Labor and Employment Law and Litigation
Represented auto manufacturer in class action lawsuit filed by the EEOC challenging company's use of criminal conviction guidelines.
Represents the firm's business clients before the NLRB in union representation elections and unfair labor practice cases involving union and nonunion employees.
Represents the firm's corporate clients in union issues arising from mergers, acquisitions and other business transactions.
Represented the Carolina Panthers in labor issues arising from NFL lockout.
Represents public and private companies in cases alleging employment discrimination, violation of Fair Labor Standards Act and wrongful discharge.
Represented the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce as amicus curiae before the state Supreme Court in landmark employee handbook case. Prescott v. Farmers Telephone Co-op, Inc.
Environmental Litigation and Land Use
Represents public company subsidiary in class action alleging contamination of community groundwater.
Represents industry clients before the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and EPA.
Represents non-road equipment manufacturers in EPA emissions compliance matters.
Chaired low-level radioactive waste compact commission with sited disposal facility and oversaw legislation, regulatory proceedings and litigation.
Represented North American metal recycling company in response to community's complaints and achieved a favorable resolution among stakeholders.
Represents developer clients in local land use proceedings involving zoning, development agreements, site approvals and utilities.
Represents companies locating or expanding in the Carolinas in securing economic development tax incentives from state and local governments.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- May 21, 2018Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- July 25, 2017Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- June 28, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 19, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Jan. 4, 2012Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Labor and Employment, and Environmental Sections
- Federal Bar Association
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Assistant to Office of Disciplinary Counsel, 1998-2012; Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline, 1990-97
- York County Bar, President, 1985-86
- York County, SC Comprehensive Land Use Plan Advisory Committee, 2015
- Winthrop University Graduate School Advisory Board, 2012-present
- South Carolina Wildlife Federation, Board of Directors, 2008-15
- Atlantic Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact Commission, Chairman, 2000-11
- Boy Scouts of America, York District Chairman, 1998-2002
- South Carolina Governor’s Nuclear Waste Task Force, 1998-2000
- Upper Palmetto YMCA, Board of Directors; President, 1998