University of South Carolina, J.D., 1980
Winthrop University, A.B., cum laude, 1977, Phi Kappa Phi
Ben Johnson is an experienced litigator and counselor who practices in the areas of land use and development law, environmental law, labor and employment law, and commercial and corporate litigation. Admitted to practice in South Carolina and North Carolina, Ben has represented companies in a wide range of business and employment matters in the federal and state courts. He regularly represents companies before local governments on land use entitlements and related development arrangements.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, commercial litigation, 2008-22; litigation - labor and employment, 2008-23
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly, South Carolina Lawyers Hall of Fame, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Land Use and Economic Development
Represents the firm's clients and owners in land use proceedings involving rezoning, development agreements, site plan approvals, utilities and other entitlement matters.
Represents national, regional and local companies in legal and policy matters related to local land use regulation.
Represents companies in securing economic development tax incentives in South Carolina.
Represented a Fortune 500 company in a class action filed in federal court in South Carolina alleging contamination of groundwater under RCRA and state common law.
Represents non-road equipment manufacturers in EPA compliance matters.
Served as South Carolina’s commissioner and chair of the Atlantic Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact as an appointee of Gov. Hodges, Gov. Sanford and Gov. Haley. Oversaw legislation, regulatory proceedings and litigation involving nuclear waste disposal facility.
Labor and Employment Law and Litigation
Represents the firm's business clients before the NLRB in proceedings involving union and non-union workforces.
Advises the firm's business clients in labor law issues arising from mergers, acquisitions and other business transactions.
Represents companies in federal and state courts in matters alleging employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, non-competition covenants and protection of confidential information; counsels businesses in the avoidance and resolution of these claims.
Corporate and Commercial Litigation
Represented companies in class actions and directors and officers in shareholder derivative actions in South Carolina.
Represented company in defense of a business claim on the eve of merger with publicly held company and achieved favorable result allowing the merger to close as scheduled.
Represented companies in shareholder dissent and appraisal actions under the South Carolina Business Corporations Act. Belk of Spartanburg, SC v. Thompson, 337 S.C. 109, 522 S.E.2d 357.
News & Events
- Aug. 23, 2022
- Aug. 26, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- Oct. 24, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- May 21, 2018Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- July 25, 2017Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- June 28, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- American Bar Association, Litigation, Labor and Employment, and Environmental Sections
- South Carolina Supreme Court, Assistant to Office of Disciplinary Counsel, 1998-2012; Board of Commissioners on Grievances and Discipline, 1990-97
- York County Bar, President, 1985-86
- Palmetto Project, Board Member, 2020-present
- Conservation Voters of South Carolina, Board Member, 2019-present
- Winthrop University Graduate School Advisory Board, 2012-present
- South Carolina Wildlife Federation, Board of Directors, 2008-15
- Atlantic Interstate Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact Commission, Chairman, 2000-11
- Boy Scouts of America, York District Chairman, 1998-2002