University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., 1978, Order of the Coif; John Motley Morehead Law Fellowship; Member, North Carolina Law Review, 1976-77
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, A.B., with honors, 1975, John Motley Morehead Scholar; Phi Beta Kappa
Robert Griffin practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation and corporate law. He has represented buyers and sellers in negotiating all types of business acquisitions, including asset purchases, stock purchases and mergers, assisting clients with the tax, accounting, employee benefits, environmental and securities law issues that arise in these transactions. He has been a frequent speaker for legal education seminars and various business groups on corporate law and mergers and acquisitions.
Robert served as managing partner for the firm from 1996 to 2015.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, corporate, mergers and acquisitions, 2003-21
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, mergers and acquisitions, 2008
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represents executives and companies (public and private) in negotiating the terms of employment agreements for senior-level executives.
Represents investment bankers and other financial advisers with respect to issues arising in their advisory engagements.
Represents public and private companies in developing stock option plans, phantom stock plans, deferred compensation plans, SERPs and other types of compensation arrangements.
Advises shareholders (including private equity funds) regarding their rights as shareholders, with respect to various transactions and corporate control issues.
News & Events
- Aug. 20, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- April 5, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Former Council Member
- Myers Park Trinity Little League, Board of Directors, 1987-present; Coach, 1982-present
- YMCA of Greater Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2009-14; Treasurer, 2013-14
- Dowd Branch of the YMCA of Greater Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2006-11; Finance Committee, 2012-present