Employee Benefits and Executive CompensationPDF
Robinson Bradshaw has broad experience in employment matters relating to benefits and executive compensation.
Our employee benefit (ERISA) practice covers all legal aspects of planning, plan design, counseling, drafting and implementing benefit plans. This includes tax-qualified retirement plans – such as pension, profit sharing and 401(k) plans – and client-sponsored welfare benefits plans, like group health plans, health care flexible spending plans, disability plans and severance plans. We also provide legal advice regarding plan administration and represent employers in benefit plan matters with the IRS, Department of Labor and other government agencies.
We regularly advise our clients regarding the employee benefits issues that arise in the context of mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures. We have substantial experience in identifying and resolving the benefits-related legal issues that arise when employers restructure by acquiring or spinning off a business unit.
Our attorneys guide clients through the complexities of federal and state laws and the regulations that impact executive compensation. We work proactively with both employers and executives to keep them informed of current developments, and we have broad proficiency covering the rules and regulations promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission, IRS and Financial Accounting Standards Board. In addition to counseling on the legal aspects of regulation, we also provide practical advice on designing and implementing executive compensation arrangements to achieve business objectives across the spectrum, from short-term incentives to retirement planning.
Our practice includes assisting clients in structuring a variety of equity compensation arrangements and nonqualified deferred compensation plans. In addition, our planning for executives often includes special benefit arrangements, or special payment methods through, among other means, life insurance, annuity contracts and “rabbi” trusts.
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms, Charlotte Tier 1 for employee benefits (ERISA) law, 2011-19
Served as legal counsel to a public company terminating defined benefit pension plans acquired in business transactions.
Merged smaller underfunded benefit pension plan into larger well-funded defined benefit pension plan, thereby reducing client’s required aggregate funding contribution.
Represented a public company integrating employee retirement and welfare benefit plans following the $3.5 billion acquisition of a competitor.
Represented bankrupt employer and liquidating trustee in terminating bankrupt employer’s 401(k)/profit sharing plan.
Assisted clients with compliance issues under the Affordable Care Act.
Represent executives and public and private companies in negotiating the terms of employment agreements for senior-level executives.
Represent public and private companies in developing stock option plans, phantom stock plans, deferred compensations plans, SERPs and other types of compensation arrangements.
Represent clients with respect to executive compensation matters, including disclosure and governance issues, plan design and compliance with IRS Code Section 409A.
Amended client-defined benefit pension plan to add cash balance feature.
Represent clients in IRS, DOL and PBGC audits.
Assist clients with filings under the IRS Voluntary Compliance Program.
News & Events
- Feb. 26, 2019
- Jan. 7, 2019
- Nov. 1, 2018
- Oct. 24, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018
- June 26, 2018
- June 25, 2018
- Oct. 25, 2017
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Nov. 1, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- Nov. 2, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Robinson Bradshaw Nationally Ranked in 2015 “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings include recognition as a Tier 1 firm in 38 practice areas in CharlotteNov. 6, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 38 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 35 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2011-12 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report, Best LawyersNov. 1, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte-Based Firm Recognized in 26 Practice AreasSept. 15, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Jan. 22, 2018L3: Long Leaf Law, North Carolina Bar Association blog
- Sept. 19, 2007Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 21, 2007Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- October 2006Robinson Bradshaw Publication