University of Wisconsin, J.D., with honors, 1985
University of Wisconsin, B.A., magna cum laude, 1982
Steve DeGeorge's litigation practice focuses on insurance coverage, product liability, toxic tort and environmental disputes. He also counsels clients in mergers, acquisitions and other commercial transactions presenting these issues.
Steve's insurance practice involves representation of policyholders exclusively. He represents policyholders from across the country in state and federal courts in North Carolina and elsewhere. Among the many coverage actions Steve handles currently is his representation of a California-based commercial real estate investment manager with over $8 billion in assets under management in a $26 million insurance coverage lawsuit, and a major drywall manufacturer in an $8 million coverage dispute concerning the "absolute pollution exclusion." He also counsels businesses relative to their coverage needs and negotiates with insurers for the most favorable coverage terms available.
Steve has represented alleged polluters at several EPA National Priority List sites, including in North Carolina, South Carolina and Pennsylvania. This work has included negotiations with the EPA of appropriate remedial measures and liability allocation, as well as successful litigation of our clients' alleged liabilities. Steve serves as U.S. coordinating counsel for product liability and toxic tort litigation brought against three international product manufacturers.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business litigation, 2012-15; insurance coverage, 2016-18
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, commercial litigation, environmental, insurance, litigation - environmental, 2011-18
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, environmental, 2009
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Serves as national litigation coordinating counsel for defending product liability claims, including asbestos claims, against manufacturers of valves, building products and security fencing.
Represents national real estate investment manager in $26 million federal court coverage lawsuit.
Represents large public chemical manufacturer in multifacted legal proceedings involving alleged contamination of air, surface water and groundwater with "emerging compounds." Matter involves multiple federal class actions, state court litigation against state regulatory agencies and a federal grand jury investigation.
Represents international network infrastructure provider in insurance coverage dispute involving major cable television system in Ireland.
Represents multinational energy company in negotiating remedial action at EPA National Priority List Site.
Successfully arbitrated on behalf of nation’s largest office building developer.
Managed litigation and toxic tort due diligence in $2 billion transaction involving building products manufacturer.
Defends federal CERCLA environmental cost recovery lawsuits across the United States.
Lead counsel for policyholders in coverage litigation in North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Florida.
Lead defense counsel in federal court action concerning testing of large diesel engines.
Lead defense counsel in Texas product liability case involving wheelchair component part.
News & Events
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Jan. 29, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 17, 2017
- Dec. 7, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- June 23, 2015
- R. Steven DeGeorge Quoted in NC Lawyers Weekly Article "Clause allows insurer to avoid paying $7M legal bill"June 1, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- June 12, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Nov. 1, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Nov. 21, 2007
Holiday Inn Asheville-Biltmore East
1450 Tunnel Road
Asheville, NC 28805Nov. 17, 2017
Port-au-Prince, HaitiMay 16, 2017
101 N. Tryon Street, Suite 1900
Charlotte, North CarolinaNov. 13, 2015
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown
222 South Caldwell Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 8-9, 2014
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport
2700 Little Rock Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28214Dec. 20, 2013
Charlotte Marriott SouthPark
2200 Rexford Road
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 11, 2013
The Double Tree Hotel
2600 Yorkmont Road
Charlotte, North CarolinaNov. 16, 2011
- 2018North Carolina Insurance Litigation, a LexisNexis Practice Guide
- Court Rules Computer Fraud Insurance Policy Inapplicable to Most Common Form of Computer-Related FraudFeb. 20, 2017
- Nov. 1, 2016Claims
- Sept. 13, 2016Law360
- May 18, 2015Carolinas Class Action Blog
- Jan. 5, 2015Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Feb. 24, 2014Risk Management
- Aug. 16, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 19, 2013NCBA Construction Law
- Feb. 17, 2012Westlaw Journal - Insurance Coverage
- Sept. 13, 2011Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 30, 2011Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Chemical Waste Litigation Reporter, Board of Advisors
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee; Toxic Torts and Environmental Litigation Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Insurance Law Section, Council Member; Bylaws Committee and Ethics Committee, Chair
- Project Life Movement, Board of Directors, 2016-present
- Levine Children's Hospital, Board of Ambassadors, 2012-present
- Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte, Board of Directors, 2004-present
- Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, Visitors Advisory Committee, 2004-10
- Leadership Charlotte, Board of Directors, 1998-2004