Duke University, J.D., 1997
Davidson College, B.A., cum laude and with honors, 1994, Phi Beta Kappa; Ken Kelley Scholar
Jeffrey Hart joined Robinson Bradshaw in 1997 and opened the firm's Research Triangle office in 2008. His primary areas of practice include private equity financings and investments, joint ventures and private fund formation.
Jeffrey regularly designs complex capital and funding structures, governance and operational systems, and buy-sell mechanisms for investment sponsors, joint venture parties and other clients needing highly customized business solutions. Jeffrey works extensively in the formation of private funds, including venture capital funds, private equity funds, real estate funds, and funds of funds. He assists corporate venture capital programs, private funds, endowments, and other financial and strategic investors with their investment transactions.
From 2019 to 2023, Jeffrey served as chief legal officer and general counsel to Modern Energy Group, a diversified holding company and investment firm with foreign and domestic portfolio companies in energy efficiency, distributed generation, demand response, and energy storage.
In 2023, Jeffrey rejoined Robinson Bradshaw as a shareholder in the Research Triangle office.
Honors & Awards
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, business, 2015; corporate, 2022
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, Leader in the Law, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, business organizations (including LLCs and partnerships), corporate, private funds/hedge funds, securities/capital markets, venture capital, 2010-20
- Lexology Client Choice award in 2016 for mergers and acquisitions
- Triangle Business Journal, Triangle’s Forty Under 40, 2010
- Charlotte Business Journal, Charlotte’s Forty Under 40, 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represents multiple funds of funds, university endowment funds and state government agencies in connection with their portfolio investments in private equity funds, venture capital funds, real estate funds and hedge funds.
Represents numerous companies in the energy, defense, insurance and health care industries in connection with their strategic venture capital investments in early-stage companies.
Represents numerous fund sponsors in connection with the formation of private equity funds, venture capital funds and real estate funds and making portfolio investments.
Represents numerous independent sponsors in connection with capital raises to make specific portfolio investments.
Represents numerous early-stage companies, primarily in the energy, software, technology and medical device industries, in capital raises, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions (both buy-side and sell-side).
News & Events
- Feb. 1, 2023
- Aug. 15, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- June 20, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Feb. 17, 2016
- Sept. 28, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- July 20, 2009
The Umstead Hotel & Spa
100 Woodland Pond Drive
Cary, North CarolinaMay 13, 2015
Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club
Durham, North CarolinaApril 2-3, 2012
James H. Barnhardt Student Activity Center
University of North Carolina-Charlotte
9201 University City Blvd.
Charlotte, North CarolinaMarch 29, 2011
- May 1, 2017National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- September 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- November 2008Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- February 2008Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Section Council, Ethic Committee, Former Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, LLC and Unincorporated Entities Committee, Former Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Business Entities Committee, Member; Institutional Investors Committee, Member
- Council of Institutional Investors
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public School Foundation, Former Board Member
- North Carolina Board of Science, Technology and Innovation, Former Board Member
- UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School, Former "Launching the Venture" Business Coach
- Chapel Hill Historic District Commission, Former Commissioner
- University Presbyterian Church, Elder; Former Administration Committee Chair; Former Capital Campaign Spokesperson; Former Confirmation Instructor
- Leadership Charlotte, Class 26
- Charlotte Chamber of Commerce Leadership School, Class of 2003