Wake Forest University, J.D., cum laude, 2006, Order of the Coif; John Thomas Byrum Scholar; Symposium Editor, Wake Forest Law Review, 2005-06
North Carolina State University, B.S., magna cum laude, 2003, John T. Caldwell Alumni Scholar
Matt Efird is a corporate lawyer whose practice focuses on the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private investments and private capital raising. He represents private equity groups and companies in a variety of industries in mergers, equity and asset acquisitions, and divestitures. Matt also represents financial investors in complex financing transactions and non-control equity investments. In addition, he represents companies in general corporate and commercial matters.
Matt also has extensive experience advising clients in the sports and entertainment industry, and in particular, has represented numerous motorsports teams, drivers, crew chiefs, sponsors and agents. His experience includes drafting, negotiating and interpreting sponsorship agreements in professional golf, football, basketball, baseball and motorsports; driver agreements; athlete management agreements; personal services and endorsement agreements; and license agreements.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, corporate, 2021-23
- Sports Business Journal, Outside Counsel Power Player, 2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Star, entertainment and sports, 2012-16
- Charlotte Business Journal, Charlotte’s Forty Under 40, 2016
Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Investment and Capital Raising
Represents a private equity fund in connection with the acquisition and disposition of numerous lower middle-market companies.
Represents a health care venture capital fund in connection with a variety of early-to-later stage investments in health care companies.
Represents an institutional investor in connection with a variety of private climate-focused investments, including a complex debt and equity recapitalization of a residential solar company and the formation and funding of a platform for water infrastructure investing.
Represented an automotive software developer from initial formation and seed capital raising through a sale to a private equity fund.
Represents a real estate developer in connection with the organization and offering of special purpose investment vehicles.
Sports and Entertainment
Represented a large NASCAR team through the reorganization of the team and formation of a complex joint venture with the owners of another professional sports franchise and has subsequently served as outside general counsel to the team.
Represented numerous sponsors in connection with long-term sponsorships of MLB, NFL and NBA teams.
Represented a private equity-owned apparel manufacturer in the negotiation of long-term license agreements with the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and MLS.
Represented a collegiate conference in connection with the negotiation of a long-term tournament hosting agreement.
News & Events
- June 2, 2023
- Dec. 7, 2022
- Aug. 23, 2022
- Nov. 1, 2021
- Aug. 26, 2021
- June 17, 2021
- April 29, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- May 8, 2019
- April 18, 2018
- June 13, 2016
- Feb. 26, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 26, 2016
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Jan. 2, 2014
- June 19, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Nov. 20, 2006
Hilton Charlotte Center City
222 E. Third St.
Charlotte, NC 28202April 10, 2018
Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
1 S. Capitol Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46204April 19, 2017
Charlotte School of Law
201 S. College St. #400
Charlotte, NC 28244April 12-13, 2016
- Journal of Business and Intellectual Property Law Symposium
Wake Forest University School of Law
Worrell Professional Center, Room 1312
1834 Wake Forest Road
Winston-Salem, NC 27106Feb. 5, 2016
4600 Roush Place
Concord, NC 28027Aug. 20, 2014
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown
222 South Caldwell Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 8-9, 2014
50 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IndianaApril 9-10, 2013
Hyatt House Charlotte/Center City
435 East Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 10-11, 2012
The Ritz Carlton
210 East Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaFeb. 2, 2011
- Valuation of Sponsorship Opportunities in SportsJune 2009Entertainment Law & Finance
- North Carolina Motorsports Association and North Carolina Motorsports Foundation, Board Member, 2014-20
- North Carolina Bar Association, Sports & Entertainment Section Council, Chair, 2013-14; Vice Chair, 2012-13; CLE Chair, 2010
- Myers Park Presbyterian Church, Elder, 2020-present; Uganda Outreach Committee, Co-Chair, 2018-present; Children and Family Ministries Council, Chair, 2020-present
- Bududa America Foundation, Board of Directors, 2019-present