Washington and Lee University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1988, Order of the Coif; Executive Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review, 1987-88
Furman University, B.A., cum laude, 1985
David Schilli concentrates his practice on commercial out-of-court restructurings and Chapter 11 proceedings. Clients call on David because he provides efficient, cost-effective representation and relies on his broad litigation and transactional experience to develop and implement practical business solutions. His 25 years of experience across a wide spectrum of industries and sectors allow him to thoughtfully help clients quickly adapt to crisis management challenges and craft creative solutions.
During the first half of his career, David had a very diverse litigation-focused practice and represented nearly every constituency group in bankruptcy and creditors' rights matters. More recently, his practice has focused on representing financial institutions and other lenders in originating, working out and restructuring loans.
In addition to his practice, David has regularly lectured on various bankruptcy topics for the North Carolina and Mecklenburg County bar associations and turnaround and corporate renewal organizations. He has served in leadership positions in professional turnaround organizations, including as chair of the North Carolina Bar Association's Bankruptcy Section and president of the Carolinas Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, bankruptcy/restructuring, 2004-18
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, bankruptcy and creditor debtor rights/insolvency and reorganization, 2009-19
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, bankruptcy, 2003-16
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights, 2006-18
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable George R. Hodges, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1990-91
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Robert D. Potter, U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1988-90
Represents a large regional bank in pursuing collection remedies on $12 million senior credit facility secured by substantially all assets of a NASCAR Cup Series race team, including pursuing appointment of receiver and, following a Chapter 11 filing, obtaining appointment of a Chapter 11 trustee to pursue the ultimate sale of the race team.
Represents a national bank in an $11 million senior secured loan workout secured by a mixed-use (multifamily and office) project.
Represented a national bank in the restructuring of a $28 million senior credit facility to a borrower in the textile industry in a debt restructuring of loan terms, a revolver and letter of credit obligations involving a series of multimillion-dollar subordinated debt offerings and equity infusions, leading to the sale of the senior credit facility to subordinated debt holders.
Represented a wholesale nursery supplier in the Chapter 11 proceedings of a grower and defeated the grower's efforts to re-characterize its contracts with the supplier as disguised financing arrangements, which if successful would have resulted in the supplier losing its interest in nearly $5 million of nursery product.
Represented a national bank in a $32 million senior credit facility to a construction company in a complex debt restructuring of a revolver, letter of credit obligations and swap obligations involving a series of multimillion-dollar subordinated debt offerings and equity infusions, leading to sale of senior credit facility to subordinated debt holders.
Represented lender in the Article 9 foreclosure of failed borrower in the health care industry.
Represented a national bank in a $13 million senior credit facility to a hybrid bus manufacturer in a complex debt restructuring of a term loan, a revolver and letter of credit obligations involving a series of multimillion-dollar subordinated debt offerings and equity infusions, leading to the sale of the senior credit facility to subordinated debt holders.
Represented a national bank in collecting $30 million of senior loans secured by real estate owned by a single-purpose borrower and leased to the General Services Administration.
Represented a national bank in connection with a nonprofit school's redemption of bonds issued by North Carolina's Capital Facilities Finance Agency and supported by the bank's letter of credit and restructuring of $7.5 million of senior secured letter of credit reimbursement obligations.
Represented a national bank in liquidating a Chapter 11 case of a fully integrated real estate and telecommunications company owing letter of credit reimbursement obligations totaling $1 million secured by cash collateral and corporate credit cards secured by cash collateral and using the bank's treasury management services.
Represents an international supplier of infrastructure solutions for communication networks in all aspects of U.S. and cross-board bankruptcy cases of suppliers and customers, involving reclamation, post-petition supply on open account, preservation of administrative claims, impact of bankruptcy filing on existing supply agreements, proof of claim filings, preference defense and asset sale issues.
Represented a packaging supplier in the automotive industry in the sale of substantially all operating assets and wind-down of operations.
Represented a significant debt and equity holder in a residential real estate community, with leisure amenities to include golf, fishing, shooting and equestrian activities, in restructuring and capital raises to respond to cash-flow shortages, general economic conditions and other operational difficulties.
Represented an individual in the buyout of a financially troubled business partner in various entities that own a minor league baseball team, a baseball stadium under construction and a mixed-use real estate development surrounding the stadium, and in the restructuring of the real estate acquisition loan and other obligations.
Represents banks, insurance companies, private equity firms and other lenders in out-of-court restructurings and workouts involving real estate acquisition and development loans, manufacturing companies, textile companies, nonprofits, transportation leasing companies, industrial finishing companies, and retail and wholesale distribution companies.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Nov. 29, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- May 9, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 5, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 31, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Feb. 21, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Dec. 31, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Dec. 31, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
Charlotte City Club
121 W. Trade St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Dec. 5, 2016
101 W. Worthington
Charlotte, NCJan. 19, 2016
- North Carolina's 37th Annual Bankruptcy Institute, A Primer on the Bankruptcy of LLC Members — The Only Certainty is Uncertainty
Omni Grove Park Inn
290 Macon Ave
Asheville, North CarolinaNov. 7-8, 2014
101 North Tryon Street, Suite 1900
Charlotte, North Carolina 28246May 14, 2014
- Nov. 23, 2016Corporate Counsel
- Oct. 8, 2015Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- July 8, 2015Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- April 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- February 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 2007Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Chair, 2005; Vice Chair, 2004; Council Member; Membership Committee; Vice Chair, Seminar Committee; Chair, Seminar Committee
- Turnaround Management Association, Board of Directors, 2009-present; Secretary, 2010-11, 2018-present; Vice President, 2012-13; President, 2014-15
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Professionalism Committee, Member, 2000-07; Chair, 2005-06; Ayscue Professionalism Award Committee, Member, 2003-present
- North Carolina Bar Foundation, North Carolina Bankruptcy Manual, Managing Editor, 5th Edition (2003); Contributing Author, 4th Edition (1993), "Claims and Protecting the Creditor’s Interests"; Contributing Author, 8th Edition (2017), 7th Edition (2012) and 6th Edition (2007), "Meeting of Creditors"
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference, Permanent Member
- Carolina Golf Club, Member, 1997-present; Greens Committee, 2008-09; Membership Committee, 2011-14; Finance Committee, 2015-present
- Youth athletics coach (baseball, basketball, soccer), 1990-97, 2014-17
- St. Peter Catholic Church, Pastoral Council, 2015-present
- Furman University Alumni Board, Member, 2001-06
- Center for Community Transitions (fka ECO, Inc.), Board of Directors, 2000-05; President, 2002-04