University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., with honors, 1982, Order of the Coif; Member, North Carolina Law Review, 1981-82; Articles Editor, North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation, 1981-82
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.B.A., 1982
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 1977
Haynes Lea practices in the areas of investment management, fund formations and general corporate law. His clients include private fund managers, university endowments, public pension funds, family offices and other institutional investors.
Haynes has created buyout, venture, hybrid and multistrategy funds and funds of funds, handling their private offerings and related securities and tax matters. He has advised fund managers on their investment transactions, internal ownership and governance issues, and Investment Advisers Act registration and compliance. In conjunction with attorneys in the firm's Employment and Labor Practice Group, Haynes has negotiated more than a dozen exits of partners or other high ranking professionals on each side of such departures from the firms.
On behalf of institutional investors, he has negotiated an array of alternative investments in primary funds and secondary transactions and assisted with special structures, including captive funds, separately managed accounts and customized investment platforms. Haynes is also familiar with nonprofit entities' tax exemption, unrelated business taxable income and governance issues. He works out of both the firm's Charlotte and Research Triangle offices.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, corporate/M&A, 2010-18
- Woodward/White, Inc., The Best Lawyers in America, banking and finance, corporate, financial services regulation, leveraged buyouts and private equity, venture capital, 2003-19; Charlotte Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Lawyer of the Year, 2014; Charlotte Venture Capital Lawyer of the Year, 2016; Charlotte Financial Services Regulation Lawyer of the Year, 2015, 2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business/corporate, 2008, 2010-17
- Foundation Fighting Blindness, “Builders of Sight” Award
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represented a private equity firm in its spinout from a large financial institution and its formation and offering of four successive private equity funds with aggregate commitments of approximately $3.5 billion.
Represented a fund of fund manager in the formation and management of three successive sets of U.S.-focused funds of funds, two sets of European-focused funds of funds, and separately managed accounts, with aggregate investor commitments of more than $2.1 billion.
Represented institutional investors in hundreds of investments in buyout, venture capital, real estate and hedge funds for more than 15 years, and in both simple and complex secondary transactions involving individual and portfolios of fund interests.
Assisted a public pension fund with the structuring, creation and implementation of a unique investment platform.
Represented a private equity fund of funds adviser in the sale of its asset management business.
Conducted an extensive review of a large community foundation's investment program, including contracts, disclosure documents, investment policies and regulatory compliance.
Served as expert witness in dispute between principals of a venture capital firm relating to representations to institutional investors.
Assisted a multifamily office with creation and offering of investment vehicles enabling clients to more cost-effectively access best-in-class investment managers.
Represented management in the spinout of a private university's investment office into an investment management company managing the university's and outside assets.
Represented an investment manager in the formation and management of a hybrid fund with aggregate commitments of $270 million, focusing on both publicly traded securities and investments in private companies.
Assisted a community foundation with tax and accounting compliance.
Assists various investment management firms with internal governance and buy-sell agreements, partner exits, tax and succession planning, best practices and other general counsel.
Represented a group of wealth management professionals in the spinout from a large financial institution and the creation of an investment management firm having a multifamily office platform.
Assisted multiple fund managers, following enactment of the Dodd-Frank Act, with registration as investment advisers, compliance policies, and compliance financing and monitoring.
Represented a public university in the spinout of its investment office into a separate, tax-exempt entity and in the creation, management and tax-exempt application of a multi-strategy fund of funds managing the endowment and foundation assets of the university, affiliated universities, and their supporting organizations and foundations.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Nov. 22, 2016
- Nov. 21, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Has Most Charlotte Attorneys Named to List for Fourth Consecutive YearAug. 19, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Thirteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers’ ‘2012 Charlotte Lawyers of the Year’Robinson Bradshaw Receives 14 Awards in 2012 RankingOct. 25, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
- May 2011Business North Carolina, Law Journal
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 25, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 2, 2006Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- Council of Institutional Investors
- American Bar Association Business Law Section, Committee on Institutional Investors, Steering Committee
- UNC Tax Institute, Board of Advisors, 1993-95
- Foundation Fighting Blindness, Board of Directors, 1991-present; Vice-Chairman, 2003-05; Treasurer, 2008-present
- UNC School of Law Foundation, Inc., Board of Directors, 2004-13
- Christ Episcopal Church Foundation, Board of Directors, 2005-10; Chairman, 2006-09