Washington and Lee University, J.D., summa cum laude, 1986, Omicron Delta Kappa; Order of the Coif; John W. Davis Award for the Highest Academic Average; Note and Comment Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review, 1985-86
Hampden-Sydney College, B.A., 1978
Stoke Caldwell’s vast experience primarily includes representation of professional race car drivers, teams, sponsors, sanctioning bodies and other industry entities; representation of entertainment entities in television, film and live entertainment; and representation of sponsors in major arrangements with MLB teams, NFL teams, NBA teams, and NASCAR and NASCAR teams.
He helped spearhead the legal work for several major groundbreaking joint ventures in the NASCAR space, including the Gillett Evernham and Roush Fenway transactions. Stoke has drafted and negotiated hundreds of motorsports agreements. Having worked on these transactions from all angles, he has a unique perspective and is able to provide insight regarding issues affecting all parties, along with market insight on industry terms.
Stoke's practice includes the formation, purchase and sale of motorsports and other sports teams, the creation of joint venture and servicing arrangements, and the purchase and sale of various other types of entities with strategic and financial investors and sellers.
He is a frequent speaker on sports and entertainment law, including seminars for the NCBA, the Sports Lawyers Association, TRAC and the ABA Forum on the Entertainment and Sports Industries.
Honors & Awards
- The Racing Attorney Conference, TRAC Star Award for Outstanding Achievement in motorsports law, 2014
- Sports Business Journal, Elite Outside Counsel Power Player
- The Best Lawyers in America, banking and finance, entertainment - motion pictures and television, sports law, 2003-19
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, entertainment & sports, 2006-18
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Star, 2014-18
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, banking & finance, 2006-12
- Charlotte Observer, NASCAR's Top 20 Most Influential Individuals, 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represents multiple top drivers, including Dale Earnhardt Jr., Danica Patrick, Jeff Gordon, Kevin Harvick and Martin Truex Jr., various crew chiefs and others with respect to their legal needs in various racing series.
Represents Richard Petty in various matters.
Represents NASCAR racing teams, including Richard Petty Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing, Wood Brothers Racing and others, in connection with full array of contract and legal requirements.
Handled and handles acquisition and divestiture transactions for entities involved in the sports industry.
Organized MotoAmerica for motorcycle road racing in the United States and represents MotoAmerica in connection with major contractual and other matters.
Represented Roush Racing and created a joint venture with a major sports team to create Roush Fenway Racing. Represented Evernham Motorsports in connection with an investment by the Gillett family to create Richard Petty Motorsports.
Represents the entertainment interests of a major theme park company.
Represents major national sponsor in connection with multiple major league sports sponsorship agreements.
Represents several personalities in television media contracts.
Represents several sports agencies in contractual matters.
Represents an NBA team on various legal matters.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2018
- June 20, 2018
- April 18, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- June 15, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 27, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- June 13, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Recommended by Managing Intellectual Property; Two Attorneys Named ‘IP Stars’ for Second Consecutive YearMay 30, 2014
- April 28, 2014
- April 10, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Aug. 15, 2013
- July 10, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw Recommended as Tier 1 Intellectual Property Firm by Managing Intellectual PropertyTwo Attorneys Named ‘IP Stars’June 25, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- April 30, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Robinson Bradshaw's Sports & Entertainment Practice Profiled in Street & Smith's Sports Business JournalMay 3, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 27, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- May 21, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Feb. 6, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center
201 Waterfront St.
National Harbor, MD 20745May 18, 2018
Hilton Charlotte Center City
222 E. Third St.
Charlotte, NC 28202April 10, 2018
Denver Marriott City Center
1701 California St.
Denver, CO 80202May 19, 2017
JW Marriott L.A. LIVE
900 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015May 13, 2016
Charlotte School of Law
201 S. College St. #400
Charlotte, NC 28244April 12-13, 2016
- National Sports Law Institute of Marquette University Law School, Maintaining Fairness, Integrity and Safety in Sports
Eckstein Hall, Suite 238
Marquette University Law School
1215 W. Michigan Street
Milwaukee, WIOct. 16, 2015
Wake Forest University Charlotte Center
200 North College Street, Suite 150
Charlotte, North CarolinaJune 24, 2015
- Sports Lawyers Association Annual Conference: Laps, Chips & Lobs: Legal Issues Facing NASCAR, the PGA Tour and ATP World Tour
Baltimore Marriott Waterfront
700 Aliceanna Street
Baltimore, MarylandMay 14-16, 2015
Millhiser Moot Court Room
Washington and Lee UniversityJan. 23, 2015
Hyatt Place Charlotte Downtown
222 South Caldwell Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 8-9, 2014
3315 Peachtree Road, NE
Atlanta, GeorgiaMay 16-17, 2013
50 W. Washington Street
Indianapolis, IndianaApril 9-10, 2013
Orange County Convention Center
9990 International Drive
Orlando, FloridaNov. 28, 2012
Hyatt House Charlotte/Center City
435 East Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaApril 10-11, 2012
The Ritz Carlton
210 East Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaFeb. 2, 2011
- North Carolina Bar Foundation, Development Committee, Chair, 2017; Oversight Committee, 2017
- North Carolina Bar Association, Personnel Committee, 2007-present; Board of Governors, 2004; Sports & Entertainment Law Section, Chairman, 2003
- Sports Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2004-present
- The Racing Attorney Conference, Co-Founder
- Dale Jr. Foundation, Board of Directors
- Kevin Harvick Foundation, Board of Directors
- Martin Truex Jr. Foundation, Board of Directors
- Queens University, Board of Visitors, 2014-present
- First Presbyterian Church, Ruling Elder
- FPC Schools, Board of Directors
- Thurgood Marshall College Fund Annual Awards of Excellence, Charlotte Dinner Committee,