Duke University, J.D., with highest honors, 1983, Order of the Coif; Willis Smith Award (highest academic average in graduating class); Am Jur “Book” Awards for Contracts, Civil Procedure, Property, Evidence, Conflict of Laws, Commercial Law, Trusts & Wills; Editor-in-Chief, Duke Law Journal, 1982-83
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., 1980, Phi Beta Kappa, Beta Gamma Sigma
Robert Fuller’s practice focuses on counseling business clients and resolving business disputes through litigation, negotiation or ADR mechanisms. He has experience in corporate, financial products, banking, partnership, construction, fiduciary, securities, tax and general commercial matters. Robert also has experience with governmental investigations and has coordinated the defense of a number of class actions and putative class actions. In addition, he routinely provides legal counsel to a collegiate sports conference in both litigation and general business matters.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: Americas Leading Lawyers for Business, litigation, 2006-18
- The Best Lawyers in America, bet-the-company litigation, commercial litigation, litigation - mergers and acquisitions, 2003-19; Charlotte Litigation - Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2016, 2019
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, litigation, 2006-12, 2015, 2017, 2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Top 25 Charlotte Super Lawyer, 2013-19; Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyer, business litigation, 2008-19
- Benchmark Litigation, Litigation Star, general commercial, construction, government and internal investigations, securities, shareholder rights, 2010-19
- Sports Business Journal, Elite Outside Counsel Power Player
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable James C. Hill, U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1983-84
Corporate, Class Action and Commercial Litigation
Represents a national bank in multiple putative class actions (MDL centralization in Boston) regarding what is alleged to be one of the largest Ponzi/pyramid schemes in U.S. history.
Represents the Southeastern Conference in defending putative class actions (MDL centralization in Oakland, California) filed by present and former student-athletes challenging the validity of NCAA grant-in-aid rules and claiming a right to be paid for playing in televised games.
Represents the Southeastern Conference in 11 "single-school, single-sport" putative class actions (MDL centralization in Illinois) filed by former football student-athletes related to concussions in college sports.
Represented a major financial institution that arranged multiple financings for a defunct entity in defending suits in New York, Los Angeles and Pittsburgh filed by bondholders, senior secured lenders, a bond trustee and a liquidating trustee in bankruptcy.
Represents two different hospital systems in defending a putative class action alleging systemic patient overcharges.
Represented Wachovia in the Wachovia/Wells Fargo merger litigation.
Represented First Union in the First Union/Wachovia/Sun Trust merger litigation.
Represented lenders in various matters arising from the "credit crunch" of 2007-08, including litigation concerning the obligations associated with commitment letters.
Defended several dozen related financial products lawsuits in various states on the East Coast, from New Jersey to Florida.
Successfully defended putative class action seeking recovery for alleged defeasance overcharges.
Represented numerous defendants in the typical litigation filed after every public company merger.
Prevailed in a tax refund case in which the IRS challenged an alleged tax shelter for lack of economic substance.
Litigated various fiduciary matters, including claims involving administration of trusts and estates.
Represented the EPC contractor for a 62 MW Hydro Turbine Generator installed at the Rainbow Redevelopment Project in Great Falls, Montana, in litigation with the owner of the project concerning extra work, design, acceleration and other related claims.
Represented the general contractor for a large Orlando, Florida, resort hotel project in litigation with the owner and several dozen subcontractors concerning delays, design defects and extra work claims.
News & Events
- March 29, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Jan. 2, 2019
- Nov. 16, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Nov. 2, 2017
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Nov. 9, 2016
- Aug. 17, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 27, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- March 25, 2016
- March 4, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Oct. 21, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- Robert W. Fuller Quoted in Law360 Article "Broadcasters Escape NCAA Athletes' Publicity Rights Suit"June 4, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm for Fifth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Fourth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw noted in AmLaw Daily article on "The Score: Robinson Bradshaw Gets Call for Project X"May 10, 2013
- April 5, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Third Consecutive YearNov. 9, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Charlotte-based Firm Has More Ranked Lawyers Than Any Other North Carolina FirmNov. 16, 2011
- Thirteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers’ ‘2012 Charlotte Lawyers of the Year’Robinson Bradshaw Receives 14 Awards in 2012 RankingOct. 25, 2011
- Robinson Bradshaw Noted in AmLaw Daily Article on "Robinson Bradshaw, Polsinelli Shughart Get Call on Aggies' Big 12 End Run"Sept. 8, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Oct. 19, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Robinson Bradshaw's Sports & Entertainment Practice Profiled in Street & Smith's Sports Business JournalMay 3, 2010
- April 26, 2010
- April 23, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Dec. 31, 2007
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Dec. 31, 2006
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge
5350 E. Marriott Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85054May 17, 2019
- The Attorney-Client Privilege: Basic Principles and Specific Corporate and Transactional Applications and Pitfalls
80 Carolina Vista Drive
Pinehurst, NC 28374Feb. 15, 2018
Elon School of Law
201 N. Greene St., Room 105
Greensboro, NC 27401Jan. 26, 2018
Pinehurst Resort & Spa
80 Carolina Vista Drive
Pinehurst, North CarolinaFeb. 20, 2015
Duke Law School
Durham, North CarolinaFeb. 7, 2014
1000 Club Road
Greensboro, North CarolinaFeb. 7, 2013
- American Bar Foundation Fellow
- International Society of Barristers, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Sports Law Section, Council Member
- North Carolina Business Court, Rules Revision Committee, Member, 2005, 2015
- North Carolina Bar Association, Civil Practice and Procedure Committee, Former Member; Construction Section Council
- North Carolina State Bar, Ethics Committee, Former Advisory Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Fee Arbitration Committee, Former Member
- The Nature Conservancy, Charlotte Campaign Committee
- Myers Park Presbyterian Church, Uganda Outreach Committee