University of Virginia, J.D., 1983, Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review, 1981-83
Duke University, A.B., summa cum laude, 1980, Phi Beta Kappa
Brent Torstrick's practice areas include all aspects of commercial real estate development. He has particular proficiency in the planning, development, leasing, financing and disposition of shopping centers. Brent also is experienced in the structuring of condominium projects, especially in mixed-use developments. His relationships with prominent developers such as Faison Enterprises, Collett & Associates and Crescent Communities extend back 25 or more years.
Brent's shopping center development experience ranges from single-tenant projects to power centers. He has represented Corporate Property Group and its affiliates in the development of approximately 20 centers in the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida, and has been working with Collett Capital in the purchase and redevelopment of existing centers.
Brent's condominium experience includes dozens of residential projects and multiple mixed-use projects, many of which incorporate hotel and related commercial uses. He also focuses on the development and sale of residential lots to homebuilders.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, real estate, 2003-20
- North Carolina Bar Association, William Thorp Pro Bono Service Award, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, real estate law, 2001-20; Charlotte Real Estate Lawyer of the Year, 2009, 2019
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite Hall of Fame, real estate
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, real estate, 2008-20; Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyer, 2009-12
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
Represented Collett Capital in the purchase and redevelopment of Heritage Crossing, a power center in Wilson, North Carolina, and Dorchester Crossing, a grocery-anchored center in Summerville, South Carolina.
Represented Cambridge Properties in the development of Cambridge Village, a grocery-anchored retail project in Denver, North Carolina, and Royal Creek, a multiple-use project in Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, that includes single-family and multifamily residential components.
Represented SunCap Development and Selwyn Property Group in the development of MoRA Point, a multi-parcel commercial development in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Represented Crescent Communities in the acquisition, development and sale of residential and commercial parcels within Masons Bend, a 550-acre project in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
Represented The Jackson Companies in the development of SayeBrook Town Center, a retail project in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, anchored by Target, and Ocean Lakes Village, a retail project in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, anchored by Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market.
Represented Corporate Property Group and Magnolia Property Group in the development and sale of five retail projects in North and South Carolina anchored by Hobby Lobby, and approximately 15 other retail projects from Florida to North Carolina.
Represented FMW Development in the acquisition and development of five small-scale student housing projects in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Represented Tarheel Lodging in the creation of a two-unit retail and hotel condominium in Carrboro, North Carolina, and the development of a Hampton Inn within the hotel unit.
Represented the Men's Shelter of Charlotte, on a pro bono basis, in the renovation of its facility, including closing three separate grants and loans from private and public funding sources.
News & Events
- May 20, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- Jan. 22, 2020
- Jan. 3, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- April 11, 2019
- March 27, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Jan. 2, 2019
- Oct. 24, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Jan. 3, 2018
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 5, 2016
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- March 6, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
- Jan. 18, 2006
- Board Certified Specialist, Real Property Law - Business, Commercial and Industrial Transactions
- International Council of Shopping Centers and Urban Law Institute, Member
- Union Presbyterian Seminary (Richmond, Virginia), Board of Trustees, Member
- First Presbyterian Church (Charlotte, North Carolina), Elder
- Leadership Charlotte, Class 21