Duke University, J.D. and LL.M., with honors, 1989; Order of the Coif; Duke Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
Harvard University, A.B., cum laude, 1984
Matt Sawchak focuses his practice on complex litigation, antitrust and appeals. He has argued at all levels of the federal and North Carolina court systems, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
Clients often retain Matt as new or additional counsel on appeal. He has handled a number of cases with stakes greater than a billion dollars.
Matt uses strategic approaches to handle complex cases efficiently. Many cases have one central issue that, when decided authoritatively, resolves the case. Matt works to identify that issue early and get it resolved in the client's favor.
Before joining Robinson Bradshaw, Matt served as solicitor general of North Carolina from 2017 to 2020. He acted as lead counsel in the state's highest-stakes civil appeals. In private practice as well, Matt has handled many lawsuits against, and on behalf of, government agencies.
Matt is a thought leader on the law of unfair and deceptive trade practices. Federal and state courts have relied on his articles in this area.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, antitrust, 2009-16
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2003-16; Raleigh Litigation - Antitrust Lawyer of the Year, 2012, 2015; Raleigh Appellate Practice Lawyer of the Year, 2014, 2016
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, business litigation, 2006-18, 2021; Top 25 Raleigh Super Lawyer, 2013-17; Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyer, 2007-17
- Benchmark Litigation and Benchmark Appellate, Litigation Star, 2013-16
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, antitrust, Hall of Fame; appellate, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Clarence Thomas, U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
Argued a groundbreaking tax dispute in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Won appellate reversal of a billion-dollar judgment in a class action over health-insurance coverage.
Won appellate reversal of a decision that reassigned the ownership of a multibillion-dollar utility.
Managed hundreds of appeals, gaining advanced insight into how today's appellate courts respond to arguments and filings.
Acted as lead defense counsel in state antitrust enforcement proceedings that challenged trade association activities.
Represented corporate plaintiffs and defendants in federal multidistrict antitrust cases.
Advised professional associations on their antitrust concerns, including concerns over the regulated scope of practice of other professions.
Testified as an expert witness in multiple distribution-related disputes, including a resale-price-maintenance case in the North Carolina Business Court.
Litigation with or by Government Agencies
Represented the governor and attorney general of North Carolina as friends of the court in a landmark case that recognizes that partisan gerrymandering violates the North Carolina Constitution.
Represented the prevailing government agency before the North Carolina Supreme Court in a leading case on North Carolina administrative law.
Represented multiple government agencies in antitrust cases, including cases in which the Federal Trade Commission challenged the actions of state agencies.
Represented the winning defendant on appeal in a leading case in which the North Carolina Supreme Court defined the scope of North Carolina's "unfair trade practices" statute.
Represented multiple companies in cases alleging unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Defended a law firm against fiduciary-duty claims threatened by a departing partner.
Defended financial services companies in consumer litigation throughout North Carolina.
News & Events
- Jan. 15, 2021
- Jan. 4, 2021
- Robinson Bradshaw Secures Two Victories in the North Carolina Supreme Court for Judicial Standards CommissionDec. 23, 2020
- Nov. 19, 2020
- Sept. 29, 2020
- July 9, 2020
- April 2, 2020
- April 1, 2020
- Jan. 21, 2021
Via webinarNov. 13, 2020
Via webinarAug. 18, 2020
Via webinarJuly 29, 2020
Via webinarMay 12, 2020
- Feb. 9, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Jan. 7, 2021Class Actions Brief Blog
- May 1, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- American Law Institute, Elected Member
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers, Fellow
- Antitrust Law Journal, Editorial Board, Chair
- North Carolina State Bar Board-Certified Specialist, Appellate Practice
- North Carolina Bar Association, Appellate Rules Committee, Past Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, Past Chair
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, Rules Committee, Chair
- North Carolina Master Chorale, Board Member
- North Carolina Opera, Member
- A Place at the Table, Volunteer
- Read and Feed, Volunteer