University of Chicago, J.D., 2002; The University of Chicago Law Review, Comment Editor
Washington University in St. Louis, A.B., summa cum laude, 1999; Beta Gamma Sigma
Stephen Feldman concentrates his practice in complex litigation, antitrust and appeals. He partners with businesses on their most important legal matters, and his approach emphasizes teamwork, efficiency, creative thinking and attention to detail.
Stephen's recent experiences include successfully representing government agencies in federal and state antitrust litigation, defeating claims of unfair and deceptive trade practices in state and federal court, and defending shareholders in corporate-control disputes.
A significant portion of Stephen’s practice involves matters in the North Carolina Business Court. The Business Court recently appointed Stephen to lead a committee that rewrote the court's rules. Stephen has served on the leadership of the North Carolina Bar Association's Antitrust and Complex Business Disputes Section, and he is the chair of the association's Appellate Practice Section. From 2015-18, he led the American Bar Association's Appellate Practice Committee.
Stephen regularly writes and speaks on issues related to complex litigation, including the law on unfair and deceptive trade practices and techniques for clear legal writing.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, antitrust, 2016-21
- Benchmark Litigation, Litigation Star, antitrust, appellate, general commercial, 2015-20
- The Best Lawyers in America, commercial litigation, product liability litigation - defendants, 2018-22
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, antitrust litigation, appellate, business litigation, 2012-21; Top 25 Raleigh Super Lawyer, 2018-21; Top 100 North Carolina Super Lawyer, 2017-21
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, antitrust, Hall of Fame; litigation, 2012-15; appellate, 2019-21
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, Leaders in the Law Award, 2020
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2019-20
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Pasco M. Bowman II, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2002-03
Successfully defended a North Carolina licensing board in a scope-of-practice dispute initiated by a sister licensing board, which culminated in a unanimous opinion by the Supreme Court of North Carolina.
Obtained dismissal of claims – affirmed on appeal – against another North Carolina licensing board in federal court-litigation alleging due-process and antitrust-law violations.
As new counsel at the post-trial stage, persuaded a federal court to dismiss a lawsuit for lack of subject-matter jurisdiction and to set aside an $8 million verdict.
Attained a favorable trial result in a dispute concerning whether a trustee of a charitable trust could be removed.
Won summary judgment – affirmed by the North Carolina Court of Appeals – for a national general contracting firm in a dispute over a municipal sewer repair project.
Gained dismissal on behalf of a national auto-auction company in federal litigation alleging unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Obtained dismissal of a claim for unfair and deceptive trade practices in a dispute between pharmaceutical companies in North Carolina federal court.
Prepared an amicus brief on behalf of 28 national and North Carolina businesses in litigation relating to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's admissions policies.
News & Events
- Aug. 26, 2021
- May 21, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- Jan. 15, 2021
- Jan. 4, 2021
- Oct. 22, 2020
- Sept. 29, 2020
- Aug. 20, 2020
- July 1, 2020
- June 16, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- April 2, 2020
- April 1, 2020
Client presentationJuly 13, 2021
Via webinarMarch 17, 2021
- What Do Readers Actually Care About?NCBA Appellate Practice Section CLE and Annual MeetingSept. 13, 2019
- What's Different About Mediating on AppealFederation of Defense & Corporate Counsel Summer 2019 MeetingAug. 1, 2019
- North Carolina Acupuncture Licensing Board v. North Carolina Board of Physical Therapy ExaminersFifth Annual Occupational Licensing Agencies Best Practice SeminarMay 30, 2019
- When a Business Wrong is Not a Commercial WrongNCBA Antitrust & Complex Business Disputes Section Annual MeetingFeb. 7, 2019
- This Can't Be Fair! How Vague Legal Standards Can Fuel Big Damages Against Consumer Goods CompaniesDRI Annual Product Liability ConferenceFeb. 9, 2018
- The Uneasy Relationship Between Contracts and Alleged Violations of N.C. Gen. Stat. § 75-1.1NCBA Antitrust & Complex Business Disputes Section Annual MeetingFeb. 5, 2018
- Legal Writing in the Digital Age: Ten Principles to Consider When Drafting a BriefNCBA Appellate Practice Section CLESept. 15, 2017
- Effective Writing and Editing in the In-House Legal EnvironmentAssociation of Corporate Counsel - Research Triangle Area ChapterFeb. 15, 2017
- Oral Argument Inside OutFederation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Annual MeetingJuly 26, 2016
- Enhancing Appellate Briefs Through Purposeful SentencesNCBA Appellate Practice Section CLE and Annual MeetingOct. 2, 2015
- FTC v. N.C. Board of Dental Examiners: New Standards for Antitrust LiabilityCentral Regional Dental Testing Service Annual MeetingAug. 22, 2015
- Trying Your Case to Win … in the Court of Appeals, That IsFederation of Defense and Corporate Counsel Annual MeetingJuly 30, 2015
- Oral Argument Gone WrongABA Section of Litigation Annual ConferenceApril 16, 2015
- Oct. 1, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- June 1, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- May 3, 2021Class Actions Brief Blog
- Feb. 1, 2021Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- North Carolina Business Court Rules Committee, Vice Chair
- North Carolina Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section, Chair, 2020-21
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section, Leadership, 2011-present
- American Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Chair, 2015-18
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel, Elected Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Law Institute and Diversity Law Institute, Member
- Jewish Federation of Raleigh-Cary, Board of Trustees, 2018-present
- American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina, Board of Trustees, 2011-15
- Telamon Corporation, Governing Board, 2014-16
- YMCA youth basketball coach, 2015-present