University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., with highest honors, 2016; Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, North Carolina Law Review, 2015-16
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., with highest distinction, 2013; Phi Beta Kappa
Travis Hinman represents clients in complex business litigation and appeals. Clients benefit from Travis’ broad range of experience litigating significant business disputes, class actions, employment matters and other high-stakes cases in state and federal courts in North Carolina and across the country. Travis’ experience allows her to advise clients through all stages of litigation, including fact investigation, discovery, motions practice, mediation and settlement efforts, and appeals.
Travis maintains an active pro bono practice focused on appellate work. Among other matters, she has represented the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court and the North Carolina Legislative Black Caucus as amicus curiae before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of North Carolina.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, One to Watch, appellate practice, commercial litigation, 2022-23
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Young Guns, 2022
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, appellate, 2021-22
- Mecklenburg Access to Justice Pro Bono Partners Program, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020-21
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-20
- Law Clerk, The Honorable James A. Wynn Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 2016-17
Represents a large health system in defense of class action claims related to emergency room billing disclosures.
Represented a private university in a putative nationwide class action challenging the university's admissions processes.
Represented a large health system in a putative ERISA class action and obtained early dismissal of suit.
Represents nonprofit organizations, interest groups and government officials as amici curiae before state and federal appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Represents a Fortune 20 telecommunications company in a series of cases and appeals involving state False Claims Act actions and other claims regarding alleged under-collection of certain government taxes.
Represented a Charlotte-based insurance company in defense of employment claims brought by a former executive.
Represents a national employer in agency proceedings involving claims of race, national origin, age and gender discrimination and retaliation.
Advises companies regarding compliance with a variety of state and federal employment laws, including anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws, wage and hour laws, and paid sick leave laws.
News & Events
- Aug. 23, 2022
- Jan. 14, 2022
- Jan. 6, 2022
- Aug. 26, 2021
- May 11, 2021
- April 5, 2021
- Feb. 12, 2021
- Jan. 15, 2021
- Dec. 9, 2020
- Dec. 3, 2020
- Nov. 19, 2020
- Nov. 5, 2020
- Robinson Bradshaw Challenges Exclusion of Low-Income Families from State Coronavirus Relief PaymentsOct. 29, 2020
- Sept. 11, 2020
- July 23, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- March 5, 2020
- Sept. 3, 2019
- July 17, 2019
- May 13, 2019
- April 23, 2019
- March 12, 2019
- Aug. 10, 2018
- April 20, 2018
- Nov. 16, 2017
- Presented by Robinson Bradshaw and PYA
Via webinarMay 11, 2022
Via webinarDec. 8, 2020
Via webinarAug. 18, 2020
Via webinarJuly 29, 2020
- June 29, 2022Class Actions Brief Blog
- Sept. 9, 2021Class Actions Brief Blog
- April 28, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 12, 2019Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- May 1, 2019Class Actions Brief Blog
- March 8, 2019Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- No Laughing Matter – Fed. R. Civ. P. 23(f)’s Deadline for Filing Petitions for Permission to Appeal Certification Orders Cannot Be Equitably TolledMarch 1, 2019Class Actions Brief Blog
- May 21, 2018Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Dec. 20, 2017Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Mecklenburg Bar Foundation, Board of Directors, 2021-24
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinder, 2021
- North Carolina Bar Association, Appellate Practice Section, Communications Chair, 2020-21; Ethics/Legislative Committee Chair, 2021-present
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Law & Society Committee, 2020-present
- Women's Impact Fund, Education Grants Committee, 2020-21; Member Education Committee, 2021-22
- UNC Law Alumni Clerkship Committee, Chair
- UNC Law Alumni Engagement Committee, Member