University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., with highest honors, 2011; Editorial Board, North Carolina Law Review, 2010-11
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., with honors, 2007, Phi Beta Kappa
Fitz Barringer advises and represents clients in the resolution of complex commercial disputes and employment litigation. His experience includes defending corporations and business executives in contractual disputes, class action litigation, false claim actions and employment matters in both state and federal court. Fitz also has experience representing clients before administrative agencies and licensing boards, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the North Carolina Department of Labor and the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners.
In addition to his litigation practice, Fitz works with corporate and nonprofit clients to avoid legal disputes through prudent management, compliance and organizational practices. In particular, he regularly advises corporations, employers, philanthropic institutions and fraternal organizations in sound employment and risk management policies.
Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, business litigation, 2017-21
- The Best Lawyers in America, One to Watch, commercial litigation, labor and employment law - management; litigation - labor and employment, 2021
- Mecklenburg County Bar Pro Bono Awards, Outstanding Individual Attorney, 2020
- Mecklenburg Access to Justice Pro Bono Partners Program, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2020
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-20
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Thomas D. Schroeder, Middle District of North Carolina, 2011-12
Represents a Fortune 20 telecommunications company in defense of a series of cases alleging False Claims Act and other claims related to the alleged under-collection of certain government taxes.
Advised leading software developer on compliance and compensation issues with respect to the Fair Labor Standards Act and development and implementation of unlimited paid time off policy.
Represents Charlotte-based insurance company in defense of employment claims brought by former executive.
Represents electronics equipment manufacturer in breach of sponsorship litigation.
Served on trial team that secured a multimillion-dollar breach of contract, RICO, and unfair and deceptive trade practices act verdict on behalf of national food, agriculture and industrial market leader.
Won dismissal of a breach of contract claim against a medical software company in North Carolina Business Court and prevailed on subsequent appeal.
Negotiated resolution of a multimillion-dollar contract dispute for leading solar developer.
Achieved dismissal of a putative federal court class action against a consumer-products manufacturer alleging unfair trade practices.
Won denial of class certification and dismissal of all claims against a hospital system in a putative class action claim involving patient billing.
Achieved seven-figure settlement of personal injury and contract claims for small business owner.
Achieved resolution of employment discrimination litigation brought by former corporate executive of leading solar developer.
Represented a university in defense of discrimination and retaliation litigation brought by a former vice president under the Family Medical Leave Act.
Represents and advises national employers in compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and in defense of litigation and administrative proceedings involving race, national origin, age and gender discrimination.
Represented a certified public accountant in a malpractice complaint filed with the North Carolina State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners.
Advises governmental entities in compliance issues involving North Carolina's public records and open meetings laws.
News & Events
- May 11, 2021
- Jan. 22, 2021
- Jan. 15, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- Jan. 22, 2020
- Jan. 2, 2020
- May 13, 2019
- April 23, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Aug. 31, 2018
- Aug. 10, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Jan. 29, 2018
- Jan. 24, 2018
- Sept. 21, 2017
- June 26, 2017
- April 26, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- March 25, 2016
- March 4, 2016
- Oct. 8, 2012
Via webinarMay 6, 2021
101 N. Tryon St., Suite 1900
Charlotte, NC 28246Feb. 7, 2019
101 N. Tryon St., Suite 1900
Charlotte, NC 28246Dec. 12, 2017
- Jan. 14, 2020Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Sept. 24, 2019Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- DOL’s New Regulations Governing Exemptions from the Fair Labor Standards Act’s Overtime-Pay Requirements Make It Harder for Workers to be ExemptMay 18, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Fourth Circuit Holds Business Judgment Rule Does Not Protect Corporate Officers Who Fail to Act in an Informed MannerSept. 15, 2015Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Lakewood Preschool Cooperative, Board of Directors, Chair, 2018-19; Vice Chair, 2017-18; Member, 2016-present
- Mecklenburg County Adult Indigent Defender List, Volunteer Attorney