Fund Formation and Investment ManagementPDF
With one of the most active fund formation and investment management practices in the Southeast, Robinson Bradshaw provides a full range of legal services to private investment funds, investment managers and institutional investors across the country. We received national rankings for Private Funds/Hedge Funds and Venture Capital Law in U.S. News' 2018 "Best Law Firms" report.
We represent general partners in the formation of buyout funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, mezzanine funds, SBICs, offshore funds, real estate funds, captive funds, separate accounts, funds of funds and other products. On the limited partner side, we represent institutional investors in virtually every type of private fund investment, as well as separate accounts, co-investments and other products. Due to our experience representing general and limited partners, we offer our clients detailed knowledge of the market from both perspectives within a cohesive group of attorneys.
Because we understand that an investment firm is a business itself with its own unique issues, our work extends far beyond fundraising and investing to also include assisting our clients with their internal governance, regulatory affairs and financial arrangements.
Our clients include Azalea Capital, Beacon Partners, Capitala Investment Advisors, Chapter IV Investors, Double Time Capital, Eton Advisors, Excelerate Health Ventures, Fidus Capital, IDEA Fund Partners, Investure, Kian Capital, MMJ Partners (f/k/a Parish Capital Advisors), Pamlico Capital, Rex Health Ventures, RLJ Credit Opportunity Fund, Treasurer of the State of North Carolina, Ulysses Management, UNC Management Co. and University of Virginia Investment Management Co.
Honors & Awards
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms, national Tier 3 for private funds/hedge funds law, 2016-18; Charlotte Tier 1 for private funds/hedge funds law, 2011-18; Raleigh Tier 1 for private funds/hedge funds law, 2018
Represented a fund manager in the formation of a middle market buyout fund with more than $900 million in investor commitments, and represented the same manager in the earlier formation of three private equity funds with aggregate commitments of approximately $2.1 billion.
Assisted an outsourced investment office services firm with the formation of a multiseries investment vehicle for its clients with more than $1 billion of commitments to its initial series.
Represented a fund of funds manager with approximately $2 billion of assets under management in the sale of its business to a global private equity manager.
Represented a fund sponsor in connection with the formation of a venture capital fund of funds.
Assisted with the spinout of the investment office of a prominent state university, and the creation of a multi-strategy fund of funds managing the endowment and foundation assets of the university and its affiliates.
Represented a private equity investment team in its spinout from a major financial institution.
Represented a community nonprofit hospital in the formation of a captive venture capital fund.
Represented a fund manager in the formation of a hedge fund of funds.
Represented management in the spinout of an investment office from a major university and creation of an outsource CIO joint venture.
Represented a fund sponsor in the formation of a mezzanine fund with capital commitments of $105 million, including the formation of a drop-down SBIC subsidiary fund and the application for its SBIC license, and the formation of associated sidecar funds.
Represented a multifamily office in the establishment of a fund of hedge funds targeting $100 million in investor subscriptions.
Represented managers of first-time hedge funds targeting initial commitments from $2 million to $20 million.
Represented a fund manager in the formation of a lower middle market buyout fund targeting $100 million in investor commitments.
Represented a fund of funds manager in the formation of three successive sets of U.S.-focused funds of funds, two successive sets of European-focused funds of funds and various separately managed accounts, with aggregate investor commitments of more than $2.1 billion.
Represented an investment manager in the formation of a secondary fund of funds comprised of interests in 26 buyout funds with aggregate investor commitments exceeding $700 million.
Represented a fund sponsor in the formation of a hybrid fund with aggregate commitments of $270 million, focusing on both publicly traded securities and investments in private companies, and the subsequent conversion of that fund to a hedge fund.
Represented a fund sponsor in the formation of multiple funds focused on investing in solar farms eligible for North Carolina state tax credits.
Represented a fund sponsor in the formation, offering and SBIC licensing of a mezzanine investment fund with approximately $55 million of private investor commitments.
Represented a publicly traded business development company in the formation of a joint venture with a publicly traded insurance company for investment in senior secured loans in middle market companies.
Please visit our Institutional Investors page for examples of our experience in that field.
News & Events
- Aug. 15, 2018
- June 20, 2018
- Nov. 2, 2017
- Oct. 25, 2017
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Jan. 3, 2017
- Nov. 22, 2016
- Nov. 21, 2016
- Nov. 1, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Feb. 26, 2016
- Feb. 17, 2016
- Nov. 2, 2015
- Sept. 28, 2015
- New Attorney Brings Wealth of Experience in Public Pension AdministrationFeb. 2, 2015
- Jan. 5, 2015
- Robinson Bradshaw Nationally Ranked in 2015 “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings include recognition as a Tier 1 firm in 38 practice areas in CharlotteNov. 6, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 38 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 35 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- Charlotte-Based Firm Recognized in 26 Practice AreasSept. 15, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
University of Georgia School of LawOct. 11, 2016
The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
201 East Trade Street
Charlotte, NCDec. 9, 2015
- New Member and Associate Counsel Session: Roundtable Discussion - National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
500 East 4th St.
Austin, TexasJune 23, 2015
- Institutional Investors + Antitrust = ??, Antitrust Concerns when Negotiating Investment Agreements, ABA Business Law Section
San Francisco Marriott Marquis and InterContinental
San Francisco, CaliforniaApril 17, 2015
- Critical Due Diligence and Monitoring Considerations for Investing in Foreign Markets, 6th Annual Fiduciary Obligations of Pension Plans
Tempe Mission Palms
60 East Fifth Street
Tempe, Arizona 85281Feb. 10, 2015
Nashville, TennesseeJune 2014
Santa Fe, New MexicoJune 2013
Santa Fe, New MexicoJune 2013
- Structuring Investments: Do I Get to Go to the Cayman Islands?, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Washington, DCFebruary 2013
- Impacting Corporate Governance in a Changing International Landscape of Fiduciary Duties and Definitions, Institutional Investor Forums
Washington, DCFebruary 2013
- Practical Board Considerations for Lawyers Working with Institutional Investors, Institutional Investors Committee Winter Meeting
Washington, DCNovember 2012
Newport, Rhode IslandJuly 2012
Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club
Durham, North CarolinaApril 2-3, 2012
- Legal Issues Facing Public Pension Plans, Louisiana Investor Education Symposium & Trustee Education Counsel
New Orleans, LouisianaFebruary 2012
- The Evolution of Private Equity and Hedge Fund LP Agreements and the Operation of Side Letters, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
Washington, DCFebruary 2012
Dana Point, CaliforniaDecember 2011
The Ritz-Carlton Lodge
One Lake Oconee Trail
Greensboro, GeorgiaSept. 22, 2011
- Legal Constraints – Are State Laws in the Way of Achieving Actuarial Goals? Louisiana Investor Education Symposium & Trustee Education Council
New Orleans, LouisianaMarch 2011
- Risk and Reward: Investment Return Assumptions and Investment Risk, National Association of Public Pension Attorneys Winter Meeting
Washington, DCFebruary 2011
- May 29, 2018Triangle Funds Blog
- Feb. 21, 2018Triangle Funds Blog
- Jan. 22, 2018L3: Long Leaf Law, North Carolina Bar Association blog
- May 1, 2017National Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- March 15, 2017Triangle Funds Blog
- April 14, 2016Triangle Funds Blog
- Feb. 12, 2016Triangle Funds Blog
- Sept. 16, 2015Triangle Funds Blog
- Feb. 25, 2015Triangle Funds Blog
- Jan. 21, 2015Triangle Funds Blog
- Jan. 9, 2015Triangle Funds Blog
- Nov. 17, 2014Triangle Funds Blog
- Oct. 22, 2014Triangle Funds Blog
- Oct. 17, 2014Triangle Funds Blog
- Developments in the Regulation of Fund Managers in North CarolinaFeb. 1, 2014Notes Bearing Interest, the newsletter of the Business Law Section of the NCBA
- Sept. 25, 2013Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- May 2011Business North Carolina, Law Journal
- Private Fund Investment Advisers Registration Act of 2010 Heralds Important Changes for Private Fund ManagersJuly 21, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Dec. 8, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Aug. 25, 2009Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Oct. 2, 2006Robinson Bradshaw Publication