University of South Carolina, J.D., magna cum laude, 2012, Order of the Coif; Symposium Editor, South Carolina Law Review, 2011-12
Roanoke College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2009
Amanda Nitto is a trusted legal adviser and an experienced class action litigator. Her experience includes defending class actions involving college admissions standards, student-athletes challenging the validity of NCAA rules, union workers demanding health care benefits, store managers challenging pay and promotion decisions, and shareholders attempting to block bank mergers.
Companies and executives involved in complex business disputes trust Amanda. She advises clients involved in bet-the-company litigation, complicated employment disputes, shareholder and partnership governance issues, derivative actions and securities litigation. Licensed in both North Carolina and South Carolina, Amanda regularly advises clients in state and federal courts of both states, including the North Carolina Business Court.
Amanda is also an expert in managing the massive e-discovery burdens of big cases. She has counseled clients on how to preserve, collect and analyze e-discovery to minimize cost and save time.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, One to Watch, commercial litigation, entertainment and sports law, litigation - labor and employment, 2021
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, business litigation, 2020-21
- Mecklenburg Access to Justice Pro Bono Partners Program, Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2019
- South Carolina Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2019
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018-19
- Walmart and Charlotte Hornets, Community Playmaker, 2017
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, business, 2017
- Charlotte Agenda, Charlotte's 30 Under 30, 2016
- Charlotte Chamber Young Professional Newcomer Award, 2015
Represents the Southeastern Conference in multidistrict litigation putative class actions filed by former student-athletes challenging NCAA grant-in-aid rules, centralized in the Northern District of California.
Represents a private university in a putative class action filed by applicants challenging the university's admissions process and standards.
Represented a Fortune 500 global energy and environmental technology company in putative class action brought by former employees alleging violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Obtained denial of class certification for a national discount store retailer in a putative class action brought by more than 30,000 store managers challenging pay and promotion decisions and alleging violations of Title VII and the Equal Pay Act.
Obtained denial of class certification for a Fortune 500 global supplier of highly engineered products and technologies in a putative class action filed by former union workers demanding lifetime health care benefits.
Counsels a Fortune 100 global technology government contractor through disputes with a state agency in connection with a $450 million contract to develop and service a health services technology platform.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a Fortune 100 social media employer in a case alleging race discrimination and retaliation in violation of Title VII and 42 U.S.C. § 1981.
Advised a women-owned health care business in a case against a regional hospital involving breach of contract and unfair business practices.
Represents a health care practice in a shareholder action, which involved a significant privilege dispute.
Represents a family-owned real estate development company in a shareholder dispute involving direct and derivative claims in both South Carolina state court and the North Carolina Business Court.
Advised multiple special committees to boards of directors on the investigation of shareholder demands attempting to block bank mergers.
Represented a large regional bank in pursuing collection remedies on $12 million senior credit facility secured by substantially all assets of a NASCAR Cup Series race team, including pursuing appointment of receiver.
News & Events
- Jan. 15, 2021
- Aug. 20, 2020
- May 20, 2020
- Jan. 22, 2020
- Jan. 2, 2020
- April 23, 2019
- July 27, 2018
- Feb. 22, 2018
- Dec. 15, 2017
- Oct. 3, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Aug. 3, 2016
- June 10, 2016
- Nov. 11, 2015
- Oct. 14, 2015
- Robert W. Fuller Quoted in Law360 Article "Broadcasters Escape NCAA Athletes' Publicity Rights Suit"June 4, 2015
- April 28, 2015
- May 1, 2014
- Oct. 8, 2012
Via webinarFeb. 9, 2021
Mecklenburg County Bar & Foundation Center
2850 Zebulon Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28208Oct. 25, 2019
UNC Charlotte Center City
320 E. Ninth St.
Charlotte, NC 28202Aug. 2, 2019
101 N. Tryon St., Suite 1900
Charlotte, NC 28246Feb. 7, 2019
- Feb. 24, 2021Class Actions Brief Blog
- May 3, 2019Charlotte Business Journal
- Oct. 15, 2018Class Actions Brief Blog
- Oct. 5, 2018Class Actions Brief Blog
- May 23, 2017Class Actions Brief Blog
- Are Class Action Waivers in Non-Management Employment Arbitration Agreements Enforceable? U.S. Supreme Court to Decide Circuit Split this FallApril 10, 2017Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Dish Network Hopes for a New Trial of Telemarketing Class Action Lawsuit after $20.5 Million Jury VerdictMarch 16, 2017Class Actions Brief Blog
- U.S. Supreme Court to Decide Circuit Split: Are Class Action Waivers in Employment Arbitration Agreements Enforceable?Jan. 17, 2017Class Actions Brief Blog
- April 5, 2016Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Jan. 4, 2016Class Actions Brief Blog
- Sept. 28, 2015Class Actions Brief Blog
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Law Day Committee, 2015-17; Pro Bono & Legal Recruitment Committee, 2018-present
- Women Lawyers of Charlotte, Board Member; Membership Committee, Co-Chair, 2016-18
- South Carolina Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Circuit Representative, 2016-18
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Mecklenburg County Bar, Bar Leadership Institute, Class of 2018
- Charlotte Regional Business Alliance, Board of Trustees; Executive Committee, 2019
- Charlotte Regional Business Alliance Young Professionals, Board of Directors, 2016-19; Chair 2018-19; Vice Chair 2017-18
- Smart Start, Mecklenburg Partnership for Children, Board of Directors
- Women's Impact Fund, Education Grants Committee
- Charlotte Bilingual Preschool, Board of Directors, 2013-18; HR Committee, Chair, 2015-18; Executive Committee, 2015-18
- Roanoke College Charlotte Alumni Association, Board of Directors, 2014-present; Vice Chair, 2016-17
- First Presbyterian Church of Charlotte, Willard Endowment Committee