Antitrust and CompetitionPDF
Robinson Bradshaw maintains one of the leading antitrust and competition practices in the Southeast, representing clients in every area of antitrust law.
Our antitrust litigation practice represents corporate and institutional clients in complex litigation, including class actions and MDLs, involving price-fixing and monopolization claims. We defend clients in a range of industries in courts across the country, working from the outset of litigation to identify key legal and economic arguments needed to prevail before trial, or at trial. Our team also has significant experience handling civil and criminal investigations conducted by the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and state antitrust enforcement agencies.
Our team also represents corporate clients in sophisticated mergers, acquisitions and other transactions to identify and remedy potential antitrust issues. Our work begins with assessing antitrust risk during the earliest stages of a transaction, which allows clients to effectively structure transactions to account for competition issues and allows us to be prepared with the legal and economic analyses necessary to navigate the deal negotiation and clearance process. We work seamlessly with our clients to file Hart-Scott Rodino notifications and then guide transactions through review at the Department of Justice or Federal Trade Commission. Our recent work has included securing antitrust clearance for multiple multibillion dollar transactions. In addition to solving antitrust issues once they arise, our lawyers are actively involved in minimizing antitrust risks by counseling clients regarding marketing and distribution agreements, pricing policies and other trade practices, and conducting antitrust compliance training for our clients. We also counsel clients on issues that arise at the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property laws, such as the drafting of and compliance with policies for the disclosure of intellectual property in standard-setting bodies. Our antitrust team advises clients in a wide range of industries, including health care, manufacturing, consumer goods, telecommunications and insurance.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: Americas Leading Lawyers for Business, Band 1 for antitrust, 2006-19
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers, Best Law Firms, Charlotte Tier 1 for antitrust law, litigation – antitrust,
Represent the Southeastern Conference in the NCAA Grant-In-Aid Cap Antitrust Litigation regarding amateurism in college sports, a multidistrict class action proceeding in the Northern District of California.
Represented the University of North Carolina in Seaman v. Duke University, et al., a class action proceeding in the Middle District of North Carolina involving an alleged no-hire agreement.
Represented National Gypsum Co. in the Domestic Drywall Antitrust Litigation, a multidistrict class action proceeding in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Represented Charlotte Pipe and Foundry Co. in the Cast Iron Soil Pipe and Fittings Antitrust Litigation, a multidistrict class action proceeding in the Eastern District of Tennessee.
Represented Trinity Manufacturing Co. in a class action proceeding in the District of South Carolina.
Represented opt-out plaintiffs in the Polyester Staple Fiber Antitrust Litigation, a multidistrict class action proceeding in Charlotte, North Carolina; obtained multimillion-dollar settlements for Fruit of the Loom, Russell Corp. and Springs Industries and coordinated the efforts of multiple law firms in discovery and settlement negotiations.
Represented opt-out plaintiff Chem-Way Corp. in the Hydrogen Peroxide class action, a multidistrict litigation consolidated in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania; obtained substantial settlements in the litigation, which involved discovery in both the United States and Europe.
Represented numerous clients in confidential investigations by federal and state agencies.
Represent Fresenius Medical Care, the world's largest provider of dialysis products and services, in its $2 billion acquisition of NxStage Medical, Inc., a leading medical device company.
Represented Raycom Media, Inc. in its $3.65 billion merger with Gray Television, Inc. Devised a pre-planned divestiture package that streamlined the Department of Justice review process and allowed for a timely closing of the transaction.
Represented Fresenius Medical Care in the $2.15 billion sale of Sound Physicians, a hospitalist company, to a consortium led by Summit Partners. Transaction was cleared without the issuance of a Second Request.
Represented Fresenius Medical Care in a $150 million equity investment in Humacyte, a biologics developer. Achieved early termination of the Hart-Scott Rodino waiting period, which allowed the transaction to close in less than 30 days.
Routinely counsel clients in structuring joint ventures and other corporate transactions to minimize antitrust risk.
News & Events
- May 8, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- April 2, 2019
- Feb. 26, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Jan. 14, 2019
- Jan. 2, 2019
- Nov. 16, 2018
- Nov. 1, 2018
- Oct. 24, 2018
- Aug. 15, 2018
- July 9, 2018
- Robinson Bradshaw Guides Fresenius Through Antitrust Review of Two Transactions Totaling $2.3 BillionJuly 9, 2018
- June 26, 2018
- June 25, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Jan. 9, 2018
- Jan. 3, 2018
- Nov. 2, 2017
- Oct. 25, 2017
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- Aug. 15, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Jan. 4, 2017
- Nov. 9, 2016
- Nov. 1, 2016
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- Aug. 8, 2016
- July 20, 2016
- June 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- March 17, 2016
- March 3, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Jan. 5, 2016
- Nov. 2, 2015
- Oct. 21, 2015
- Robert E. Harrington and Mark W. Merritt Appointed to NC Commission on the Administration of Law and JusticeSept. 8, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- July 15, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- May 11, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to North Carolina’s 2015 Legal Elite, Legal Elite Hall of FameJan. 8, 2015
- Jan. 5, 2015
- Nov. 11, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Nationally Ranked in 2015 “Best Law Firms” by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings include recognition as a Tier 1 firm in 38 practice areas in CharlotteNov. 6, 2014
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm for Fifth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2014
- Firm Has Most Charlotte Attorneys Named to List for Fourth Consecutive YearAug. 19, 2014
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2014 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 6, 2014
- Jan. 2, 2014
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2014 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 38 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2013
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Fourth Consecutive YearOct. 29, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Nineteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2013 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 7, 2013
- More Ranked Attorneys Than Any Other North Carolina Firm For Third Consecutive YearNov. 9, 2012
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2013 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report and Best LawyersRankings Include Recognition as Tier 1 Firm in 35 Practice Areas in CharlotteNov. 1, 2012
- Firm Once Again Has Most Charlotte Attorneys Named to ListOct. 2, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Eighteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Included Among North Carolina’s 2012 ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 4, 2012
- Charlotte-based Firm Has More Ranked Lawyers Than Any Other North Carolina FirmNov. 16, 2011
- Robinson Bradshaw Named to 2011-12 ‘Best Law Firms’ Rankings by U.S. News & World Report, Best LawyersNov. 1, 2011
- Thirteen Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers’ ‘2012 Charlotte Lawyers of the Year’Robinson Bradshaw Receives 14 Awards in 2012 RankingOct. 25, 2011
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Robinson Bradshaw noted in AmLaw Daily article on "Four Firms Advise as Fresenius Spends $2 Billion on Dialysis Centers"Aug. 2, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- February 2, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- Twenty-One Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among North Carolina’s ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’Jan. 12, 2011
- Oct. 25, 2010
- Charlotte-Based Firm Recognized in 26 Practice AreasSept. 15, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Twenty-Five Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named Among ‘Legal Elite,’ ‘Legal Elite Hall of Fame’ in North CarolinaJan. 26, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Dec. 31, 2008
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Dec. 31, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- June 2, 2006
101 N. Tryon St., Suite 1900
Charlotte, NC 28211Oct. 18, 2017
North Carolina Bar Center
8000 Weston Parkway
Cary, NC 27513Feb. 16, 2017
- Just the Beginning or Nearly the End: Regulatory Impact of the North Carolina State Board of Dental Examiners v. FTC
Loews Philadelphia Hotel
1200 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107June 2, 2016
Charlotte School of Law
201 S. College St. #400
Charlotte, NC 28244April 12-13, 2016
101 W. Worthington Avenue
Charlotte, North CarolinaJune 1, 2011
- March 26, 2019Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- Nov. 29, 2018Law360
- March 29, 2018Robinson Bradshaw Publication
- March 31, 2017American Health Lawyers Association
- Comment, Antitrust Review of Accountable Care Organizations: An Assessment of FTC and DOJ's Relaxed Approach to Regulating Physician-Hospital Networks, 90 N.C. L. Rev. 203 (2011)December 2011North Carolina Law Review
- June 10, 2010Robinson Bradshaw Publication