Harvard Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1988
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., with highest honors in Economics, 1985, Phi Beta Kappa; Morehead Scholar; Truman Scholar; Walter S. Spearman Award (outstanding man in graduating class); Undergraduate Prize in Economics
Allen Robertson has led the firm as managing partner since 2015 while maintaining an active practice. In 2020 he was re-elected to serve a second five-year term.
Allen is recognized as a public finance lawyer of regional and national distinction, and is one of only two North Carolina lawyers to have served as president of the National Association of Bond Lawyers. Over the last 25 years, Allen has become particularly known for his work with nonprofit health care providers, including leading health systems, community hospitals and senior living facilities, in tax-exempt and taxable financings and strategic transactions. He also has substantial experience in financings for nonprofit educational institutions.
Allen represents banks and broker-dealers in underwriting, placing and remarketing securities, making loans, and providing letters of credit and liquidity facilities. He has extensive experience in the senior living industry, serving as general counsel for nonprofit and for-profit providers and representing buyers and sellers in merger and acquisition transactions.
He began his career at Robinson Bradshaw as a bankruptcy lawyer and litigator representing debtors and creditors in Chapter 11 cases, and continues to provide bankruptcy structuring advice and opinions in transactions and workouts.
Honors & Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, banking & finance: public finance, 2004-20; bankruptcy/restructuring, 2007-09
- The Best Lawyers in America, public finance, 2003-21; Charlotte Public Finance Lawyer of the Year, 2011, 2016, 2018
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, banking, 2008-13; government finance, 2014-20
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Law Clerk, The Honorable James B. McMillan, U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 1988-89
Served as bond counsel in more than 100 North Carolina Medical Care Commission financings for health systems, hospitals and continuing care retirement communities totaling approximately $5.7 billion, including approximately $1.5 billion in tax-exempt NCMCC bond financings for Duke University Health System.
Served as bond counsel in tax-exempt financings totaling approximately $2 billion for The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Hospital Authority d/b/a Atrium Health (formerly Carolinas HealthCare System).
Served as underwriter’s counsel, representing Citigroup, Wells Fargo, J.P. Morgan, Bank of America, BB&T (now Truist), Ziegler, and Herbert J. Sims, in more than 70 health care facilities financings totaling approximately $7.8 billion.
Served as bond counsel for more than $4.9 billion in Duke University financings.
Served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel and/or bank counsel in student housing financings for Appalachian State University, UNC Pembroke, North Carolina Central University and North Carolina A&T University.
Served as bond counsel, underwriter’s counsel, bank counsel or borrower’s counsel in exempt facility and industrial development bond issues throughout the country, including bonds for multifamily housing, airports, docks and wharves, solid waste disposal facilities and manufacturing facilities.
Variable Rate Demand Bonds; Commercial Paper
Drafted or maintained variable rate demand bond forms for three different banks and assisted them in the development of new modes and products. Represented Citigroup in the development of the Window VRDB product.
Served as bond counsel and dealer’s counsel for tax-exempt commercial paper programs.
Interest Rate Swaps
Negotiated, or participated in the bidding of, more than $2 billion in notional amount of interest rate swaps.
Served as bond counsel for three health systems in connection with the novation of existing swaps to new counterparties.
Represented an educational institution in the mediation and settlement of swap liability to the Lehman bankruptcy estate.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Advised health systems and hospitals in structuring proposed merger, integration and affiliation transactions to comply with bond document requirements and related bond tax law.
Represented governmental transferors and transferees in transfers of hospital facilities pursuant to the North Carolina Municipal Hospital Act and served as counsel in financings to consummate such transfers.
Served as underwriter’s counsel in connection with the creation of a separate obligated group by a leading private university through (a) organization of a controlled affiliate, (b) conveyance of the university’s health care delivery system (including its academic medical center) to the newly-created affiliate, and (c) utilization of a replacement master indenture provision to allow the affiliate to assume the related bond debt without defeasing or redeeming any of the bonds.
Served as special counsel to a leading private university located in New York with respect to analysis and structuring of a proposed spinout of its school of medicine and health care delivery system (including its academic medical center), including corporate structure and governance issues, bond issues (e.g., creating a separate obligated group) and debtor-creditor issues.
Served as counsel to a for-profit developer and operator of retirement communities in the sale of eight communities in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida for $476 million.
Served as counsel to a nonprofit operator of retirement facilities in connection with the acquisition of a for-profit continuing care retirement community.
News & Events
- Sept. 29, 2020
- Sept. 25, 2020
- Sept. 21, 2020
- Sept. 14, 2020
- Aug. 20, 2020
- April 30, 2020
- Jan. 22, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2019
- May 6, 2019
- Jan. 28, 2019
- Aug. 15, 2018
- May 31, 2018
- March 2, 2018
- Feb. 1, 2018
- Jan. 30, 2018
- Dec. 15, 2017
- Eight Named “Lawyer of the Year”Aug. 16, 2017
- May 31, 2017
- Jan. 26, 2017
- Eight Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year"Aug. 15, 2016
- June 2, 2016
- May 9, 2016
- Jan. 27, 2016
- Oct. 15, 2015
- The Bond Buyer Quotes Allen K. Robertson in "Issuers Need to Be Educated in Wake of MCDC Initiative"Sept. 30, 2015
- Sept. 14, 2015
- Allen K. Robertson Quoted in The Bond Buyer on "MSRB Eases Voluntary Bank Loan Disclosures for Issuers on EMMA"Aug. 20, 2015
- Aug. 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- Jan. 21, 2015
- Firm Topped North Carolina Rankings in Eight Practice AreasAug. 19, 2014
- May 23, 2014
- Allen Robertson Interviewed by Modern Healthcare "Hospitals and lenders see favorable conditions now for seeking financing"March 17, 2014
- Allen K. Robertson Testifies on Behalf of National Association of Bond Lawyers at IRS Public HearingMarch 14, 2014
- Jan. 21, 2014
- Sept. 25, 2013
- Sept. 25, 2013
- Aug. 15, 2013
- May 24, 2013
- Six Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 18, 2013
- Oct. 29, 2012
- Aug. 23, 2012
- June 8, 2012
- Seven Shareholders Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in Top 10Jan. 23, 2012
- Sept. 1, 2011
- Charlotte Firm Leads All Other N.C. Firms in Ranked Attorneys, No. 1 Practice Areas for Third-Straight YearJune 14, 2011
- Seven Shareholders Included Among State’s Top 100 Attorneys, Two in the Top 10Jan. 21, 2011
- November 4, 2010
- Oct. 25, 2010
- Aug. 9, 2010
- Twenty-Two Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named to Chambers USA, Most in North Carolina for Second Straight YearCharlotte-Based Firm Again Recognized as State Leader in Eight Practice AreasJune 11, 2010
- Forty-Six Robinson Bradshaw Attorneys Named North Carolina Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Stars for 2010Jan. 28, 2010
- Jan. 13, 2010
- Aug. 10, 2009
- June 18, 2009
- Jan. 23, 2009
- Sept. 19, 2008
- June 14, 2008
- Jan. 23, 2008
- Sept. 7, 2007
- June 15, 2007
- Jan. 26, 2007
- Sept. 6, 2006
- June 2, 2006
Hyatt Regency Coconut Point
5001 Coconut Road
Bonita Springs, FL 34134March 7-8, 2019
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites
181 Church Street
Charleston, South CarolinaOct. 7-9, 2015
1900 Duke Street, 4th Floor
Alexandria, VirginiaJune 6, 2014
- Municipal Market Disclosure: Current Topics and Practices
Sheraton Fairplex Hotel and Conference Center
601 W. McKinley Avenue
Pomona, CaliforniaMarch 18-19, 2014
Boca Raton Resort and Club
900 S. Ocean Boulevard
Boca Raton, FloridaFeb. 23-26, 2014
Charlotte, North CarolinaFeb. 19-20, 2014
The Ritz Carlton, Charlotte
201 E Trade Street
Charlotte, North CarolinaOct. 17-19, 2013
- “Municipal Bond Opinions,” Volume 2, Chapter 5, Legal Opinions in Business Transactions, Fourth Edition, American Bar Association, 2019
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- President, 2013-14; President-Elect, 2012-13; Immediate Past President, 2014-15
- Board of Directors, 2008-09, 2010-15
- Bond Attorneys’ Workshop, Steering Committee: Chair, 2009; First Vice Chair, 2008; Second Vice Chair, 2007; Opinions Panel Chair, 2004-06
- "The Function and Professional Responsibilities of Bond Counsel" (3d ed. 2011), Co-Chair
- 2003 Model Bond Opinion Report Update Project, Co-Chair, 2019-Present
- American College of Bond Counsel, Fellow
- Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2015-Present
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Representative, 2009-Present
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, 2017-Present
- Historic Elmwood Pinewood, Inc., Board of Directors, 2019-Present
- Friends of Scouting Leadership Dinner, Steering Committee, 2004
- Christ Episcopal Church, Sunday School Teacher, 1996-98
- Leadership Charlotte, Class 15